New Blue Tongue!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BeckyRRR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Blue Tongue!

Postby BeckyRRR » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Hello everyone! This is my second blue tongue, I'm so excited to have her! I just picked her up today.

I was wondering if anyone would help me answer a couple of questions about her.
She was sold as a northern, and I'm definitely no expert, but based on looking online I think she might be an irian jaya? I don't mind, I just want to give her the right humidity.
I was also told she is about 6 months old. She looks younger to me but again, I'm no expert. She's extremely calm when held and has eaten out of my hand on the first night so maybe she is that old.
She seems to have a little kink in her back but since the shop was so enthusiastic about giving her UV/supplements I'm hoping it's a birth defect. It doesn't seem to bother her one bit.

She's got such a cute little face, I love her :D
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: New Blue Tongue!

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:37 pm

She's a lovely little juvenile EASTERN (I think).

Looks full of personality .
BeckyRRR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BeckyRRR » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:53 am

She could be! I'm not sure because she has quite black speckled legs, I don't know if that applies to easterns? I'm basing this purely off looking online so I could be wrong.
The markings do look very similar between both to me.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:47 am

George when he was little .... loved snuggles in my polo-shirt pocket ....

Note colour of legs .... breeder told me he was definitely an eastern BTS.
BeckyRRR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BeckyRRR » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:35 am

Aww, George is lovely. Does look similar, my skink is just missing the eye bands.

Also found this image named as an eastern:
So I think you could be right! :shock:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:37 am

95 percent sure IJ, and if six months was definitely not fed enough! Appears to be a slight kink there, probably not enough calcium/d3 or just a generally poor diet. I'm sure you will take good care and he/she will grow into a great pet. The slight kink may always be present, though. I took on an undernourished 7 month Northern a few years back and the little kink just above her tail has lessened, but probably just not as noticeable as her weight has stabilized. All the best to you and your new pet!
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:40 pm

Her legs are very Eastern.
My baby has markings on her like that, and she was a queensland bred eastern bluey.

My old girl also doesn't have the stark mask, but is also an eastern.

Take a gander and see if the markings lineup. HOWEVER knowing that Australia hasn't exported for so long, I'm not sure if she would be an eastern. Although they cope better than most in cooler weather. I'd advise taking a look into the history of exports to England.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BeckyRRR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BeckyRRR » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks for your help! They really are quite similar.
I think due to me being in the UK, she's most likely an IJ. The store owners do have definite pet northerns so maybe they just assumed she was also northern, they love their animals but they keep a lot of different species so maybe they just aren't aware of all the different BTS.

Looking on their page, they only 'received' one baby (my skink) with no mention of where she came from in June. To me, that says wild caught?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”