Clawing at Cage?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Halogen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Clawing at Cage?

Postby Halogen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:13 pm

So my skink decided to start clawing at his cage for some reason. Hes been doing fine for awhile and now hes acting restless. I didn't change anything in his cage and I took him out to roam around but he is still doing it.
Help?
Fiji Fan Club President.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Clawing at Cage?

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:45 am

I've got one that does that practically incessantly, not just when 'in season'. He was one of my own holdbacks from last year's litter, so no adjustment period, etc. It's just what he does. Kept identical to all my others who only do that when in season. He's just a restless boy. If your temps are fine and he has enough room to thermoregulate, has enough to eat, he may just be the same. I find this behavior more common with my males.
Anyone???
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Very much agreed with Splashy07. My Northern does this alot also. My Merauke, not so much. Some just do this.
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Hey man, when I was in the phase of fixing my 6ft cage, I had my girl in a 2ft cage. She would claw and climb the walls like mad. I found it was likely because she didn't have space and was bored out of her mind. Lots of people keep lizards in the minimal accepted size, but then their lizzies scratch. My girl stopped her scratching when she upgraded, and when I provided more for her to interact with. be it an Egg to attack, some trickle food to nibble on or a new object I'd add for a few days then switch out. I watched carefully to ensure the object switching didn't make her unhappy, and Gidge took to it like a fish to water. It was mainly cosmetic changes, nothing to her basic routes, but new things brought her into more exploring.

My little girl, Peewee, scratches and climbs for a very different reason. When I met her I though her eagerness to rise above losing 90+% of her tail was AWESOME. Then I realised she was climbing and scratching out of fear of the other lizard in with her. She was constantly fleeing being lunched on, and was very stuck in her ways even after I got her. I provided more interaction upwards, a rock she could climb about 1ft up and get a look over her layout. That settled her down dramatically, and she uses it daily.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”