Prospective owner

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
HaleyLynnM
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Prospective owner

Postby HaleyLynnM » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:23 pm

I am an owner of two snakes looking to add to my collection, i was wondering what subspecies would be recommended for a first time owner, and am also looking for tips for id-ing a good breeder or site to order a Skink from, also open for any recommendation for building a enclosure and a healthy environment
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Prospective owner

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:55 am

Hi! You will be amazed with your BT, no matter what type you choose, but I would suggest a Northern as they are ALWAYS captive born and bred as Australia has not exported since mid 70's. The Gigas types (Indonesian: Halmahera, Irian Jaya, Merauke) are almost always imported, although there are breeders working with them and some successful right here on this forum! Northerns are almost foolproof, allowing for some little mistakes made by first time owners.
I find BTs easier to keep than my snakes, as you can shop for their food in your local supermarket! I would also suggest starting with a baby or juvenile, so you can be sure he/she grows up right with the proper nutrition. The downside to that is you'll probably have to wait till next season (end April to mid July.) Good luck!
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:14 pm

I got my northern from captivebred.com and its doing fine. They should still have some left in stock.
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Hey Man.

I'm an Aussie so I can't speak for Americans, but here we would always point you towards an older eastern blue or Northan.

I have Eastern Bluetongues and my old girl is the most sweet, tolerant reptile I've ever met. NOTHING phases her. Bearded Dragon puffing at her, nope. Dogs barking. Nope. Human kisses. Nope. Bomb went off... where's the banana?

I have found ALL blue tongues are very, VERY inquisitive. If they want somewhere, they are GETTING there unless something more interesting presents itself. they LOVE exploring, and a cardboard box is the biggest treat imaginable for them that isn't food. They can be very fussy, but also have good appetites when you find their food choices. They learn their individual handlers too. I read somewhere they can learn up to 20 faces/voices and a theory they have the intellect to even learn some words and actively enjoy and seek out humans.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:10 am

I second what Erica said, Captivebred.com. Donna Fitzgerald is a wonderful person, her northerns are spectacular. Great communication. I have a 2011 baby from her and he is now one of my proven breeders. She still has some available. You won't easily find an Eastern on this side of the pond. I am currently working with them and hope to breed in a year or two, but they are very expensive and I wouldn't suggest spending 800+ for your first. I believe Captive Bred Excellence still has some Northerns available. Good luck!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”