Enclosure UVB question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
kyerth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Enclosure UVB question

Postby kyerth » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:52 pm

hi guys!
So, I want to build my custom enclosure, as seen on the picture
It will have a CHE (that white thing) and I wanted to provide a UVB light source
it will be 6' x 2' x 1.5'
My question is, what do I use as an UVB light source? The fluorescent strips? do you think a single 24 inch in the middle part of the back wall will do?
I've seen the 48 inch and that should be the optimal, but I have yet to find a small enough fixture, with protection, to attach it, it's always with 2 bulbs, already installed, and not protected.. If they're protected they cost a fortune! the light setup would cost me more than the acrylic, which already is expensive...
2017-08-31 16_44_17-bdrmm - SketchUp Make 2017.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Enclosure UVB question

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:29 am

I'd recommend a t8 or t5ho tube about 2/3 the length of the viv , some BTs require 5% uvb , others 10% uvb , the %uvb of the tube also depends on the height of the viv and if the tube in backed by a reflector, don't forget the basking globe .
kyerth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kyerth » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:08 am

Oh true! Thanks for the reminder, I plan on getting a Northern probably
So, I will need a heating bulb, a basking bulb (those philips in the picture work as both a basking and a heating bulb or do I still need a basking light?) and a UVB lamp
With a 5ft (1.52n) enclosure, the lamp being about 12-13 inches high, do you think a 3ft (90cm) UVB lamp in the middle will be enough?
Thanks again :3
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:47 am

kyerth wrote:Oh true! Thanks for the reminder, I plan on getting a Northern probably
So, I will need a heating bulb, a basking bulb (those philips in the picture work as both a basking and a heating bulb or do I still need a basking light?) and a UVB lamp
With a 5ft (1.52n) enclosure, the lamp being about 12-13 inches high, do you think a 3ft (90cm) UVB lamp in the middle will be enough?

T5HO 10% to 12% UVB tube (3ft long in a reflector hood , one end very near the basking spot , this way the BT can escape to a very low UV zone when it's had enough UVA & UVB.
kyerth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kyerth » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:14 am

kingofnobbys wrote:
kyerth wrote:Oh true! Thanks for the reminder, I plan on getting a Northern probably

T5HO 10% to 12% UVB tube (3ft long in a reflector hood , one end very near the basking spot , this way the BT can escape to a very low UV zone when it's had enough UVA & UVB.

Thank you so much for your help and time! :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”