Toxic plants

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
blueberry
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Toxic plants

Postby blueberry » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Hello all :3
Just wondering if I could put a live indoor plant with my bts. It's is a spathiphyllum plant also know as white butterfly flower and I really like it because it provides shade for my baby however there is a caution sign saying harmful if eaten and skin and eye irritant. I've been touching it a lot and it doesn't really irritate my skin so I'm wondering if they put it there just for caution. (Soaps and shampooos also say the same thing) Also my bts isn't really know for destroying or eating random things, she is actually quite picky.
I would really like to know if it is safe my me the put the plant there? Has anyone actually had a bts fallen sick from toxic plants?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Toxic plants

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:00 am

splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:29 am

Putting live plants in with your skink may look pretty, but will not last long. They are like little bulldozers, and I wouldn't want mine sampling any type of house plant as food. Save the live plants for the dart frogs, geckos and anoles that won't make a total mess of it. Naturalistic vivs just don't work well for BTs.
That_Gardener
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby That_Gardener » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 pm

No to the Spath, Peace Lilies have a salt in them that can irritate their mouth if eaten. You can find really good, cohesive lists of toxic and unfriendly plants for reptiles and other animals. Through the process of elimination, you can typically figure out plants that are either edible or just not palatable.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”