Any help would be appreciated !!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Stacey2301
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Any help would be appreciated !!

Postby Stacey2301 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:31 pm

So I guess I better start from the beginning , I'm new to BTS and defiantly made some serious mistakes that lead to my poor BTS having mites , internal parasite and a RI. Went straight to the vets and we managed to easily clear the mites and internal parasites. Unfortunately the anti biotics didn't work aswell as hoped , I took him back and the vet explained that he had pneumonia we advised that he stayed in the vets ... he ended up being there for 3 weeks and it was extremely touch and go at points. Eventually I was told I could bring him however I had to continue with anti biotics , Saturday was my 2 week check up and the vet was pleased anakin had gained weight and she said he's breathing was defiantly more relaxed .

The problem is something isn't sitting right in me.. he's still sneezing a lot , there's often fluid over his nose , and whenever I get him out or I'm watching him his breathing is very heavy I have another checkup 2 weeks from now but I'm terrified one day il go to the viv and he'll be dead . Will he ever get better ? How long will this go on for ? Should I even wait for the next checkup or just go straight their ? So far this has cost me £650 what happens if I can't afford any more?

I'm very worried
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Any help would be appreciated !!

Postby Janella » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi, I am sorry to hear your skink is so sick and isn't doing well. I would call your vet immediately and tell them what he is doing. Then see if they can get him back in. Are all your husbandry correct now? Especially his temps? What medication did they put him on? Did they suggest doing anything else to help him?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:17 am

F10 nebulization and antibiotic nebulization each day might help , see https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 5&t=232783 for more information.

I think it's probably a good idea to keep him warm 24/7 too , this will help boost his immune system and help dry out the mucus.

Sterilizing his viv and having him on paper towels while being treated is also a good idea. I'd use F10SC at 1:125 dilution to be sure the viruses that are on the surfaces in his viv are killed.
Stacey2301
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Stacey2301 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:17 am

I have updated all his husbandry and he is currently on paper and his viv has been disinfected multiple times I'm trying to keep his viv as clean as is humanly possible . I have still been turning the light down at night but perhaps I should be keeping him hot 24/7 that would make a lot of sense it's during the night that the sneezing seems to become worse .

My local vet is an excellent vet and she seems very happy with him because he's eating again but I think perhaps I'm just a worrier, he is gaining weight well and he seems bright and alert but the sneezing makes me worry .
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 am

Sounds like you are doing everything well. I would keep some sort of heat source on at night. Seeing our pets sick is never easy. It sounds like yours has been through alot. I always say if your aren't sure, then it never hurts to ask again. How long does your vet think his recovery will take? Especially the sneezing and the discharge?
Stacey2301
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Stacey2301 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:10 pm

At the moment the temperature is only dropping to mid 70s at night . We are currently having 2 weekly checkups so our next appointment is just over a week and I believe she is expecting to see significant changes by then she hasn't given me a specific time frame . Today I decided to give anakin his medicine much earlier in the day and so far I haven't noticed as much sneezing today I so I think I may have been giving his medicine too late in the day . I also notice that after I try to remove the dried discharge he sneezed so much more not sure what the connection is . He is currently eating every other day and pooing normally which is a big change from previous weeks when he wasn't eating and had diarrhoea.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:48 pm

It sounds all good on everything you are doing. I wish Anakin the best of luck during his recovery. Keep is posted on how things go. I know recovery can take a while. Good luck.
Stacey2301
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Stacey2301 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm sure this will sound very stupid .. anakin always sleeps in his hide so truthly I have no idea what he looks like when he is sleeping .. I remember my parents having a lizard that slept with his eyes open so I assumed all lizards did . Anakin had his head slightly out of his hide and had his eyes shut as soon as I made a noise he opened them but my question is .. so blue tongue skink sleep with their eyes shut ? I'm just making sure this isn't a sign of something to worry about this happens at midnight so it was nighttime .
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:46 pm

They do sleep with their eyes shut. That is completely normal for them to do that. I personally think they are absolutely adorable when they curl up and are sleeping. :)
Stacey2301
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Stacey2301 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Yes it was very cute I had just never seen him do that before I think he maybe becoming to small for his hide but I'm reluctant to put any of my new stuff in until he is fully better as I'm worried about stressing him out and also when he is better I'd like him to go back into a clean and sanitary viv ( not that it's not clean now ) thank you I was worried It panicked me slightly when my tortoise died I found him with his eyes closed so i panicked.

Poor anakin did her a slight fright when I suddenly opened the viv to check he was ok
Stacey2301
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Stacey2301 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:06 pm

So anakin has this last vets checkup and they say he's all clear ! The vet believes that a lot of the heavy breathing that I witness was due to stress the last few months haven't been very pleasant for him and every time I was handling him it was constant injections or syringe medicine so whenever I pick him up now he begins breathing heavy it's going to take some time for him to trust me and enjoy being handled again. He is still sneezing but it's not frequent so that may just be a normal part of being a skink that I never noticed before.

Iv noticed the last few days that he's started sleeping with his head poking out of his hide and even tonight wasn't event in his hide to sleep any theories on why that may be ? Is his hide too small? Just double checking that it isn't anything to be concerned about keeps giving me a fright if I'm honest.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Wonderful news that he is feeling much better! Way to go :-)

As far as sleeping outside of his hide or sleeping with his head sticking out, they do that. Mine do it all the time. I think they do this when and if they feel secure. My personal opinion though.
Stacey2301
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Stacey2301 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:12 am

Hi just to ask my bluey has been given all clear from vet Now and he has no internal parasites but does still have diarrhoea any suggestions on why?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 am

What's his diet consist of? Certain foods can cause loose stools. Also depending on if he was on meds, some of those can cause it too.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”