I'm a student can I own a BTS?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Julia12567
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

I'm a student can I own a BTS?

Postby Julia12567 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:23 am

hello everyone.
I really want a blue tongue skink, and yes I have done my research.
I'm just not sure about one thing. I am 13, and I got to school (obviously) but I am not sure wether I will have enough time to spend with my blue tongue skink as they are diurnal. I leave the house at 8am and return at 5pm but sometimes I have sport so could come home as late as 7pm or later. I'm just not sure if I will have enough time to spend with my BTS, and again I really want one but only if I can make it happy and entertain it.

Thank you for reading I really appreciate any responses.
:)
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: I'm a student can I own a BTS?

Postby Janella » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Hey, I sent you an email back. Let me know if you don't get it.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:39 am

My advise is wait a few more years , so you will be more mature and better equipped and able to take a parttime job to pay for the expenses involved in setting up a viv , bi-annual uvb light replacements , vet fees (for annual wellness checks and when it has an accident (gets injured) or gets sick) , foods and suppliments .

This works out very expensive .

Seen too many instances where kids get given a lizard as a pet , and mum/dad refuses to pay for proper lighting, refuses to pay for food, and when it gets sick or looks like it's dying , they then refuse to pay to have a vet treat it (kid then comes to places like this hoping for some free vet advise and free/cheap home remedies , inevitably it ends badly).

A BTS will live over 10 yrs if properly cared for , and are fabulous pets , but be aware it's very large commitment taking one home as a pet.
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:47 am

I'm still in school though don't like to reveal it often as I feel people will make assumptions about your intelligence and responsibility , I train for and Play football, basketball and have a busy social life and manage 2 shinglebacks and a beardie fine, It's all about having a good routine and still allowing enough time for cuddles :mrgreen: (which is easy really as i cuddle with my lizards at night on weekdays as that's when time permits and in the day on weekends) never the less i know for a fact that a lot of kids and teens still in school who own reptiles lose interest in them and they end up being a novelty, It's even worse when young kids own reptiles, I'm not proud of it but when i was younger i had a beardie which i treated like a massive novelty and lost interest in. i look back now and fell absolutely terrible the poor thing probably had a very below par life and he died in his third year, so not to scare you but you got to be absolutely sure you can give the lil blue tongue a great life for a long time, they can live for over 25 years so you gotta think ahead as well... University, when will you move out of your parents house etc. All things i had to thoroughly think through before getting all my little goobers, any way good luck to you and make the right decision as your future bluey's quality of life depends on It! :mrgreen: :D
TPceebee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Insta - @Oxide_fx

Postby TPceebee » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:08 pm

The most important thing is to be able to afford the expenses. It's really quite expensive. I'll spend about £70+ on supplies every 6 months, and an extra £20+ a month on supplies like decent food and substrate, Not to mention what it's doing to the cost of the electricity bills. And when things go wrong you're looking at spending hundreds on vet bills. You need a reliable supply of income. I personally waited until I was earning a decent wage before getting a bluey.

In the beginning it's very important that you make time to spend with them to tame them, but once they are tame it's a lot easier. I get home at 6pm and take the lizard out to chill before he has to go to bed. He also gets fed at this time, so I usually also have to deal with poops. Then you've also got to clean the cage once a month or so... This is very important as you can't be lazy about keeping them clean.

Also, you need to find someone that will take care of it when you go on holiday, which can be hard because a lot of people are scared of lizards. (Luckily for me, my bluey has won the hearts of most of my family, so they'll all quite happily take care of him while I'm away. :ohyes: ) you'll also need transport to the nearest reptile vet. Mine is 4 hours away, which is just impossible to get to without the car, so I needed to be able to drive or have someone who is willing to take an 8hour round trip.

As for losing interest, I have adult friends that are bored of their lizards. Sadly this means that their care and husbandry is questionable, of which they get a lecture from me from time to time, so you have to be really sure that this is a lizard that you're going to keep with you even when you get older, go to college, university, move house, grow a family etc.. 30+ years is a heck of a long time, it's not just about your current schedule.

I know it sucks to sit and have to take advice that goes against what you might want to hear, but it's important to know the responsibility of taking care of any animal. At the end of the day it's up to you to make the decision, just make sure that it's done with a long time of careful thinking and a responsible attitude. remember, you've got years ahead of you to think about owning a bluey.
Reptiles Owned:

1.0 Northern - Rusty - 1 July 2015
0.0.1 Black Roughneck Monitor Lizard - Neville - 1 April 2019
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:52 pm

G'day mate.
people may say cost is a big thing, but I personally think time and dedication are major. I see lots of blueys who haven't been socially cared for and they can end up an absolute mess.
Now, life is a thing. we can't dedicate our entire life to cuddles, frankly your lizards will hate that. However you Should dedicate maybe an hour a day at least if you ask me. Now, this can be done in lots of ways. I game online at night, so I bring one of my babies up to sit with me. I set up the cardboard maze and let them roam the room. This way they hear my voice, have some fun, and are within reach for petting, cuddles and treat giving.

2/3 are SO chill I could do anything. They fall asleep on my face if I lay down near them, that's how comfortable they are I won't eat them. Plus how warm I usually am. Gidge always comes up to the glass to say hi, Nox just lazy legs and watches me until I put my hand in the cage, then its scamper up the arm or look for the treat in my elbow.

my 3rd is a rescue. of sorts, who is currently not so comfortable but improving daily.

That, for you, could mean doing your homework with your lizzy on the desk, or free roaming your room. reading with them, just let them chill on your chest/torso as you lay back. I have found they enjoy the warmth and I enjoy the time with them. Lizards can blend remarkably well with family life. There's been heaps of times I've had Nox sit on my shoulder, or Gidge in my lap during family movies, or fail army nights. My parents are smitten too, unable to resist the pets they once let me get so I'd stop nagging them.

Cost is ALSO a big thing though. You need to know your family will take them to the vet. Now, for me, that's about $120 a pop. Since I am very careful with their health and diet, I have only had ONE serious issue with a swollen up knee for my beardie. Turned out to be an infection in the bone. That visit for all the fast testing, medications and a quick side check up on Gidge cost me $324. Cages are expensive too, if bought in stores. if the glass breaks, that's $80 to get recut. Plus electric bills. Feed bills. Substrate bills. It all adds up.

Quick edit in. IF you feel unable to fully dedicate the time to taming a babie, yet have the time to continue handling and such, looking into an older blue tongue is also an option. Depending on size, it may cost a little extra, but by the time they are around eight, they are very chilled in my experience if they've been handled. plus, it is the age people get bored of them, so you'd likely be able to adopt one off a bored owner. that's IF you feel you can meet the requirements though.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”