New Reptile and Skink Owner

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Monemoore
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Reptile and Skink Owner

Postby Monemoore » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:43 am

Hello! Yesterday, I got a 5 week old CBB Northern Blue Tongue named Delta. So far, I have only actually seen the little nugget once when I first put it in the enclosure and fed it. After that, it burrowed into the cypress mulch and hasn't come out since. I periodically go in and move hides around to try and find it, and it huffs at me. I worry that the little baby will be too scared to come out and eat. When should I start to worry? I haven't touched Delta at all yet. I know I should give it a week to get comfortable, but should I try to dig it up so I can feed it during the adjustment period?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New Reptile and Skink Owner

Postby splashy07 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 am

I would just leave him alone for a week or so. Moving stuff around in the beginning may stress out a youngster. He will smell the food and come out and get it himself when he feels comfortable. I socialize my babies by spoon feeding them with a tiny plastic spoon (the one that comes with the can of snails). They then associate me with being a good thing, and tame down and trust very quickly. I also leave food in there for them, and they find it no problem. Watch him, talk to him, but try and refrain from re-arranging his living quarters for now. Let him get used to his new home.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: New Reptile and Skink Owner

Postby Janella » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Congratulations on Delta! I definitely agree with splashy07. All the suggestions are the best way to help Delta feel secure and gain trust. Good luck!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”