ANOTHER LOST SHINGLEBACK! (happy ending.)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

ANOTHER LOST SHINGLEBACK! (happy ending.)

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:15 am

Oh my, what a stressful couple of hours. after just losing my last shingleback i got my mum to pick up another pair. she comes home and gives me the box when she gets home i open it and its filled with shredded paper. i grab the first one, BUT THE OTHER ONE IS NO WHERE TO BE SEEN! My mum said she swore the lady put them both in and hadn't opened it the whole time. i then realised whats happened when she tells me she didnt tape the lid closed... the smaller girl had escaped in the backseat. :| just my luck :heated: after searching the car thoroughly i start to go into a swearing rage and managed to drop my iphone onto the concrete :oops: I had spent 300 dollars and lost two shinglebacks. we continued to search the car. it started to get dark and we needed a torch. it was then my dad yelled "here he is!" she had managed to get underneath the back seat of the car, which is a very small space with springs and metal framing all in the way, my hand was to big to fit in so we lured the little sheila out with a cherry tomato, but she wouldn't come out far enough :hair: what a mishap. eventually she crawled to the very back of the seat so we could slide it forward without hurting her. Oh man, stress levels were reaching maximum capacity :helpme: and after all this Shananagins i can assure you that the outdoor enclosure which I thought was escape proof before is 10 times more secure now! Can't afford to have another situation like these. After owning skinks for a total of 2 weeks Exaclty, I can assure you they are the niftiest creatures i have ever seen, such intellegence for such a small critter! :mrgreen: :D will chuck some pics up of them ASAP, they are adorable. girl is 4 months and boy is 6 months, have lived togetther there whole life :mrgreen: Can't explain how happy i am with them! P.S - WOULD LOVE NAME SUGGESTIONS!
Starksdesigns
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: ANOTHER LOST SHINGLEBACK! (happy ending.)

Postby Starksdesigns » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:42 am

Im so happy for you!!! A much happier ending. As far as names hmmmm..... do you like cool sounding names or silly names?
Halogen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Halogen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Houdini
Fiji Fan Club President.
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Any sort of names are good! haha i like houdini. i would like their names to relate to eachother kind of, i was thinking maybe Ziggy and Zaggyy
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:33 pm

Here are some pics of them! :mrgreen: :edward:
IMG_3057.JPG
IMG_3061.JPG
IMG_3070.JPG
IMG_3069.JPG
IMG_3067.JPG
IMG_3074.JPG
the smaller and lighter coloured one is the female, darker coloured and larger one is the male
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hyrulemaster77
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Hyrulemaster77 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:33 am

I'm so glad to hear that you found them! I am always amazed by these little guys. They are much smarter than people give them credit for! Regardless, I thought of at least one famous duo:

Bonnie x Clyde

I'll see if I can't think of more. Keep the pics coming! They're gorgeous. :thumbs:
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:47 am

Cripes .... I can imagine how miffed you were , and how pleased when your eagle eyed dad found her .... you are sure this is the new one and not the one who went AWOL ?
I'd be taking a very good look at the AWOL's photos and comparing .... JIC.

You are welcome to call them George and Mildred .... sounds like the girl is a force of nature .... just like Mildred in "George & Mildred" the brit siccom, and my Mildred the BTS.

Or

Ptolemy & Cleopatra (she was devious too and very much a force of nature).

Yep I think it goes with the territory of being skinks , they are cleavour little buggers and don't miss a trick .....

Need I say .... I'm green with envy .... I didn't get a couple of shinglebacks for my 60th , maybe I'll get them for Fathers' Day .... I'm chucking hints out in all directions ....

Mind you .... I'd settle for 2 or 3 mixed captive breed baby or juvenile water skinks and be just as happy.
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:00 pm

ill take the names into account! hey king, nah definitely the new one not the AWOL one haha :D ill be taking them out in a day or so for their first cuddle, will put some more pics
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:17 am

King you should invest in a couple of these bad boys
13395054_1027450827290805_1155288679_n.jpg

They are Goldfield shinglebacks, man not many people can look at them without frothing at the mouth :tasty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:44 am

Great colouring and patterning in their scales .... very photogenic.

Yep .... wanted a pair for a long time but had my hands full with the eastern BTS, the water skinks, and the bearded dragons add keeping our little grandson amused when he come sleepovers and holidays (he loves pop's pet lizards and learnt real young how to befriend wild lizards).
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:45 am

Dwarfbeardeddragon wrote:King you should invest in a couple of these bad boys13395054_1027450827290805_1155288679_n.jpg
They are Goldfield shinglebacks, man not many people can look at them without frothing at the mouth :tasty:

Which ones the girl ?

.... let me guess ... the orange coloured one (looks to have a smaller head - a good full body shot of each from above would help make the guess for certain).
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:43 am

if your refering to the goldfield shinglebacks, i wouldnt have a clue they arent mine, just a pic off google. if you are wondering about my two in the pics i originally posted, im not too sure of their gender either, i have heard its harder to determine shingleback sex than normal blue tongue sex. although the smaller one which i thought was female may actually be male according to the breeder but not sure about the other one, although it would be good to know soo that when i hopefully find the other one i can put him in too if its female. Will be sure to put up some pics when i have my first cuddle tomorrow! they were really friendly when i first put them in so hoping they will be good with handling. might try to get some full body shots of them so maybe someone could determine the sex of them. will be sure to keep you all updated :mrgreen:
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:44 am

Also, you mentioned water skinks i was unaware you still had them?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:58 am

No Wriggles passed a away ,she was about 8 years old (to my best reckoning) and simply died from old age and peacefully in her sleep.

So I have to make do with giving treats to my resident wild water skinks when I see them , or when they come calling or come inside for visits. Hoping the little juvenile who was living inside with us and made him/herself at home last summer returns inside again.
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:31 pm

would love to see some pics of them one day, how tame are water skinks?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:26 am

Ordinarily (with everyone except my wife and me) they are very shy and skittish (but curious).

OK since you asked , here are a some of my favourate photos of my fav friendly wild water skinks :

Wriggles was ubertame and really affectionate see https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 6&t=217016

This is Lizzy ,she became a defacto pet and very regular visitor for about 5 years from 2010 and was very friendly and tame

breakthro .... handfeeding Lizzy

another breakthro .... tickles under Lizzy's chin

Here's our latest (current) house guest - visits started in November 2015 as a tiny baby ( about 6 inches long ) , and he returned for most of last summer and was often seen in most rooms of the house , we think he's brumating inside somewhere as we've seen him every now and then over winter (and the rogue crickets are disappearing and we sometimes find roach legs or wings), and often hear what we think is him hunting rogue crickets under/behind the lounge - my wife named him Cheakie...we think he's one of Lizzy's babies, she may even have given birth to him in our house :

One of his fav spot, on the lounge watching us , and the pet lizards , gets the sun there in the afternoon too ;

Enjoying a treat

giving me the headnods

He's a subadult about 12 months old I think and is a wild water skink.
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:43 am

OH MAN they are soooo cute! i want one! too bad the laws are so strict in WA :( they bring back memories, i thought that they might of been the species of skink we saved when we went around australia, the pics confirmed it. i was quite young but remember it very well. my dads mate lifted up a rock and accidentally squished the skink a bit it was hurt so we put it in a box and reared it back to health and released it later. the family we were travelling with once caught a joey whos mum had been run over and nursed it before giving it to a local animal rehabilitation centre. some good memories from that trip... well the ones i can remember :lol:
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:07 am

some pics from the first cuddle! they are extremely tame and seem to enjoy a stroke or pat. the larger one even walked into my lap to cuddle with his sibling :D
IMG_3109.JPG
IMG_3082.JPG
IMG_3094.JPG

they seemed to appreciate the fire. next is a top view of the smaller one and secondly a top view of the larger one, any one able to sex them for me? maybe i should make a separate thread about it? dont want to spam the forum too much though (i get a bit exited sometimes) :lol:
IMG_3096.JPG
IMG_3085.JPG
IMG_3091.JPG
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 am

settling in just fine ....

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”