Question on general food sources?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Andee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Question on general food sources?

Postby Andee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:44 pm

I know generally most skink keepers (who keep them as pets) feed them canned dog food usually? Anything else?

I do not know what breeders do? I would enjoy anyone who breeds them to weigh in?

I know I am likely a bit of a oddity, since I keep one skink, a male merauke, as a pet, but I do not feed him dog food. He gets around 4 different feeder insects, sometimes 6, through out the week with other parts of his meals. He regularly gets burger, but also gets meat trimmings that contain large amounts of tendon or muscle meat and some fat(the meat trimmings come around 8+ proteins). He also get liver (beef usually), currently is getting pork kidney, green beef tripe, sometimes he will get wild caught sock eye salmon (because my dog gets it) and it's raw, he will get some egg (usually boiled or scrambled), he gets his supplements, he gets one adult mouse twice a month, he get his veggies and fruit, he sometimes gets pancreas, and spleen, depending on what organs I have in. He often get's various types of heart and beef tongue.

Does anyone else do what I do?

He will usually get at least one type of organ, mixed with muscle meat and fruit and veg, and a couple insects. It adds to about a spoonful of food every other day. But he's not gaining the massive amount of weight everyone elses gains usually. But he shows no issues healthwise. Has been into the vet several times.
Merauke Male- 5 months- Chronos

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”