New Owner

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
RJ7417
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Owner

Postby RJ7417 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:49 am

So i just adopted my bts RJ (4yrs old) yesterday, and so far hes doing really good, hes friendly and is taking to the "enclosure" very well. But i have a few questions...
1. Whe he breathes out his nose will whistle, just wondering if this is a funny quirk or something i could help him with.
2. He has what looks like some leftover shed at the corners of his mouth from the previous owners (how to fix)
3. The people who had him before didnt take care of his feet so hes missing some toes :( and it looks like there is still some skin leftover i need to remove, whats the best way?
4. Lastly, along with other food in his diet, would it be fine to give him store lunch meat like turkey and chicken for sandwiches or...no?
Anyway hope you all can help, looking forward to advice and solutions thanks :D
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: New Owner

Postby Janella » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would highly recommend getting your skink to the vet for a check-up. By what you are describing it sounds like he has had shedding issues in the past (hence the missing toes) and is probably in trouble now. If the shed on his toes is tight and constricting then it needs to get off asap. Any good reptile vet will know how to do this. As for the noise, they can make noises but without hearing the noise exactly it is hard saying if it is normal or not. Again, the vet will be able to help with this and help rule out an infection. Lastly, I would take a fecal in to make sure your guy doesn't have any internal parasites. Regarding the lunch meat, I wouldn't recommend that. They need 50% proteins in their diets. Some good sources are canned dog food, ground lean turkey, and snails. So people even feed live bugs such as Dubia roaches. The feeding chart from this forum provides alot off detailed information to help. Definitely check it out if you haven't already. I hope this helps and good luck.
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: New Owner

Postby BD99 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:52 am

hey mate. The toe thing I have some experience with, my first baby Gidge has had issues with it and is missing claws.

How I handle it for her is rather simple, but takes a steady hand and a warm soak.
Bathe your lizzy, make sure to get the water all over them. Splash and rub it on the jaw, back, tail and everywhere that isn't submerged. As shedding skin gets wet, it tends to come off easier and without any pain. Just like humans in the shower. I alternate between fast rubs ((Which Gidge hates)) and gentle slow ones.

toes wise, I go a step further.
With toe nail scisors or a small sewing needle, I attempt to cut the shed open so it can come off. NEVER cut the skin off, just where it is loose, put splits. I also rub her toes and feet when I bathe her to help it slide off.

Also, I provide rocks and other rough surfaces for Gidge to walk on to shed herself.

Sometimes Gidge whistles breathing wise, but that's usually when her nostrils are shedding. She sometimes clicks too when she opens and closes her mouth, but that's just a her thing. I got it cleared with out vet.

As for diet. EVERY skink is different. I give 70% veggies, 30% meats and proteins as a general rule for Gidge, yet 60/40 for Peewee. Age is a factor, along with condition and livelihood.

I try to mix and match 2 - 3 veggies in for Gidge, plus 2 types of fruits as treats through the week. my favourites are Kale, Carrot, Corn, Grapes and Banana. I will use egg as enrichment or temptation. Meat wise, I rotate between Whiskers cat food mince, raw Chicken, Bugs.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”