Is my basking spot hot enough? Also, please check out my cage set up (bonus skink pic)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
lucidmind
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Is my basking spot hot enough? Also, please check out my cage set up (bonus skink pic)

Postby lucidmind » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi All!

Just received my first BTS today (a baby), im so excited! One minor concern I have is with the hot side of the terrarium. I have a 100 WATT Mercury UVB/UVA/Heating bulb for a 32 x 18 x 18 tank (i'll upgrade when it gets bigger). The overall ambient temperature on the basking side is reading around 85-90. However, the basking rock itself (near the back of the cage) is getting around 95 degrees. I was thinking about possibly getting another 50 Watt basking spot light in addition to the 100 WATT mercury bulb, but this might be overkill. Is my heating situation okay, or should I try to make it toastier for the beasty?

Also, any suggestion or comments on cage set up would be very much appreciated :)

BTS1.JPG

BTS2.JPG

BTS3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbets
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Is my basking spot hot enough? Also, please check out my cage set up (bonus skink pic)

Postby tbets » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:53 am

I'd honestly just recommend raising the basking spot so it's closer to the bulb. That's by far the easiest solution when you aren't achieving the desired temperatures you're aiming for.
lucidmind
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Is my basking spot hot enough? Also, please check out my cage set up (bonus skink pic)

Postby lucidmind » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:08 pm

tbets wrote:I'd honestly just recommend raising the basking spot so it's closer to the bulb. That's by far the easiest solution when you aren't achieving the desired temperatures you're aiming for.

That's kind of what I was leaning towards doing, thanks for the advice! Hopefully this helps.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”