LOST SHNGLEBACK OUTSIDE HELP! :(

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
acanthurus
Rugosa Envy
Rugosa Envy

Re: LOST SHNGLEBACK OUTSIDE HELP! :(

Postby acanthurus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:38 am

Shinglebacks are a bit different when it comes to aggression. Amongst other personality quirks, shingles are much less aggressive than other species and for the most part can be housed together quite safely (although you do get the occasional bone head).

That enclosure should be more than big enough for a trio, although please be aware they can be quite messy and will likely need regular cleaning.
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:21 am

thanks for the replies, turns out they are related, guy thinks one of them might be female. Tristen the enclosure is smaller than what i had thought i remember saying it was 1.5m by 2.5 m but its actually 1m by 2m got plenty of hides but would need to add a couple more basking spots. is this big enough for a trio? figured it would be nice if they could clump together for warmth on cold nights aswell.
acanthurus
Rugosa Envy
Rugosa Envy

Postby acanthurus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:29 am

That should be fine for a 1 male, 2 female trio. Only other bit of advice I can think to give is to buy captive bred if you can.
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:33 am

yep, only captive animals are bought in my household haha! getting two bobtails tomorrow! planned to put them in with my other bobby:( but hopefully i find him and can put him in with the others :mrgreen:
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:34 am

if its a 2 male and 1 female trio im guessing it wouldnt work? they would hassle the girl? or all boys?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:24 am

Two boys will be result in fights and someone badly hurt even killed.

Two girls will likely be OK , .... maybe .... , I'd be inclined to house them separately for now , 109 - 150 L (ALLSET) storage tubs will be ideal for now until you know if it's going to be safe to house the two you are getting together ( I guess if you let them free roam inside together UNDER VERY TIGHT SUPERVISION you'll soon see how they react to each other) .

I think a larger indoor viv or suitable sized escape / theft-proof / predator proof pit - cage setup. (Likely on a concrete slab or on pavers would be the best.)
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:54 pm

yeah ill definately be careful, but they are brother and sister and have lived together there whole life, but if i find the other one ill have to find seperate housing for him. Thanks :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”