Is This Mites???

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
delfiend
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Is This Mites???

Postby delfiend » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 am

I noticed about a week or so ago there was a single tiny black bug on my buddy Griffin; thinking it a mite, I decided to keep a wary eye on him, just in case the one bug wasn't some sort of fluke.

These past two days, Griffin went through a full shed, and this morning I decided to give him a warm, shallow soak in the tub. When I was drying him off, I noticed that the scales around his face were starting to seem darker at the edges than his other scales, and that the scales around his eyes seemed rather dark.

I did some reading, and I'm conflicted. First of all, I'm not certain it's mites, since I can't find any good pictures of what mites look like on BTS other than some extreme cases. Second, everything I've just read about treatment specifically mentions avoiding the eyes, and the eyes are exactly where my BTS seems to be most affected.

I took some pictures of what I think may be the mite infested areas:

Image Image

Please let me know what you all think!!!!! I've only had Griffin for almost a month now, and I've never dealt with mites myself (I helped spot them in our cornsnakes at my job, but I wasn't the one to administer treatment), but I know they can be a major issue!!! Griffin is also about to get upgraded to his bigger and permanent set-up, and I'd feel much better moving him knowing he's not carrying an infestation into his new home...
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Is This Mites???

Postby splashy07 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:14 am

I don't see any around his eyes, but then again my eyesight isn't what it used to be...but if you saw a tiny black bug on him be warned, there is never just one. I would follow up with treatment, and totally take down and disinfect everything. They are a huge pain in the butt once they manifest themselves, and it doesn't take long.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”