northern acting strange?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Fotizzile
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

northern acting strange?

Postby Fotizzile » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:41 pm

so i just got the lizard yesterday which was shipped to me with overnight rush shipping. i had a different indo in the tank before but i have took everyones advice and replaced all the substrate clean out the glass and used a bleach/water solution to clean all the fake plants and wood (rinsed everything afterword with regular water and let it dry in the hot sun). now i dont know if this is because the blue tongue is in a glass tank for the first time but he is constantly trying to get out. it kinda looks like he needs air but the tank has a screen top thats all open except for one small dome for the basking light. i might be overreacting since it is his shed time and ive had him for less then two days. (made sure to add extra wet paper towels under hide to help with shed) humidity is at 50-55%. the cool side is 75 F while the hot spot is at 93-96. he is a baby northern. also when should i worry about a bad shed? his shed right now looks pretty scratchy but it hasnt even been a day yet (this morning no signs of actual shedding when i came back from work he has pieces stuck to him). i dont want to overwhelm him on his first week here but ive waited a long time to get him and i dont want to mess anything up.
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Re: northern acting strange?

Postby starscream3232 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:33 pm

He's wall climbing or glass surfing. It does happen. Try covering 3 sides of the tank with paper so he doesn't feel so exposed. Some can develop dips in their backs from doing this constantly.
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
R176
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: northern acting strange?

Postby R176 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:48 am

I'm no expert, but it sounds like he might be trying to climb because he's trying to rub off his shed. Does he have stuff to rub against in his enclosure? Like plants or rocks or something sturdy to rub against? If not, maybe try adding something and see if he climbs on or rubs against those as opposed to the glass.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”