Scale Rot or Beginning to Shed?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Halogen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Scale Rot or Beginning to Shed?

Postby Halogen » Sun May 21, 2017 3:01 pm

So recently I have noticed something new on my skinks tail. Some of the scales are peeling away and I don't know if this is scale rot or if my skink is starting to shed. I've only detected this on the tail and maybe one small area on the head. It's hard to get good pictures sadly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fiji Fan Club President.
Halogen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Scale Rot or Beginning to Shed?

Postby Halogen » Mon May 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Well, I was worried for nothing and it is just him shedding. Also, should I try to help my skink or just let him do it himself? I know the feet need help but anything else?
Fiji Fan Club President.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Mon May 22, 2017 6:08 pm

As long as you have the proper setup with the right humidity level your skink should be just fine. Feet and all. Humid hides work nicely as well. Definitely keep on eye on all parts of your skink during shedding, and then if there is a problem you know and can help if needed.
Halogen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Halogen » Wed May 24, 2017 6:55 pm

So my skink has pretty much fully shed at this point except his feet. I have tried bathing him in water, and then in water with Shed-Ease. I tried getting my skink to sit still for the 20 minutes while the shed ease worked but it was hard with him squirming. While the Shed-Ease got some off, there is still some stuff left on his feet how do I get it off? I tried peeling it after the Shed Ease but he kept squirming and I didn't want to hurt his toes since they are delicate. :helpme:
Fiji Fan Club President.
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:45 am

Advice. NEVER rip the skin off. I accidently dud that once and the scales beneath were underdeveloped and tender. Thank god it was only two scales and not a whole foot.

How I did it was cheeky. I actually used small scizors and cut the shedded skin into smaller pieces. NEVER where it was connected. Never cut it off. Just cut slices.

With the toes all cur seperate from
The other shedded skin, they came off on their own in the bath wth a gentle rubbing. Gidge' issue was the skin was holding to her due to one *darn toe.

Again. A BIG NOTE. I cut the dead and shedded skin that was hanging off. Never cut or rip scales off a skink. It HURTS and they won't approve.

Also if you can get them
Moving, movement helps it shed.
jodidelisio
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jodidelisio » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:32 am

just try to peel it off from the above give him warm water so he could calm down a bit usually they will hand out their feet if they needed help and yes by any means do not cut the skin you want it to shed as whole not pieces. hope this helps :D :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”