Can I use coco fiber as substrate?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
LizzDragonLord
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Can I use coco fiber as substrate?

Postby LizzDragonLord » Mon May 08, 2017 3:27 am

My question is as simple as that: Can I use coconut fiber for my Blue tongue?
I don't own one just yet, but I'm planing on getting one!

So the reason I want to use coco fiber is because I already have an abundance of it from keeping tarantulas
and since you don't have to change the substrate for tarantulas it's just sitting there, I have no other use for it, so it would be nice if the Blue tongue could use it c:
Ohgeez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Can I use coco fiber as substrate?

Postby Ohgeez » Mon May 08, 2017 4:02 am

Absolutely!! If its not too fine it'll be perfect, its great for moisture holding :)
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue May 09, 2017 4:48 am

I use a mixture of course grade Kritter's Krumble mixed with handfuls of leaf litter that I collect from my front lawn (big eucalypt in my front yard). My BTs love it.

Steer away from fine grade coco fibre , very dusty .
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am

I've used the coco fiber 'bricks' you buy dried out and compressed, and simply add water to them. I make a lot of it at a time and keep it in a big bin to dry out and it's always there when you need to replace a little or a lot. My BTs like it and it's great for holding moisture when needed. I also use cypress mulch, repti-bark and similar and most often mix it all together. I also use the coco fiber for invertebrates. Great stuff! I just get nervous thinking my skink may ingest some accidentally so I put a paper towel under the food bowl in case they pull some food out and drop it onto the substrate.
SleepyCheesy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby SleepyCheesy » Mon May 22, 2017 10:55 am

For most Blue Tongued skink species, it should do fine but if you would like to boost the humidity level, then mix in some Cypress Mulch with the Coco-fiber in order to lock in additional Moisture

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”