Sexing My Blue Tongue Skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Zailena
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Sexing My Blue Tongue Skink

Postby Zailena » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:03 pm

Hello everyone! I recently bought my first blue tongue, and was wondering if someone could give an educated guess at the sex of him/her. He is a Halmahera Indonesian. I've seen the difference between male and female, but it's a bit hard for me to tell and I was hoping someone here had more experience and would have a good guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Sexing My Blue Tongue Skink

Postby Y33T » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:06 am

It takes very close observation to sex blue tongues. The best and most accurate way to sex them is to have another bluey but it is possible to sex your skink without getting another. There's methods like popping/probing but it can be dangerous to inexperienced handlers, there's also a candling method but it's only successful to centralian blue tongues. You could look out for hemipenal bulges, during springtime they swell, if you notice the base of the tail being abnormally wider compared to the rest of the tail you got a male. Very often males "expose" themselves while going to the toilet. You could also take a DNA test but unfortunately it costs a lot of money. My personal guess is that your bluey could be a female judging by the body shape almost similar to my female Eastern. But it may not be entirely accurate though.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
Laceflower
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Cameron Briley

Re: Sexing My Blue Tongue Skink

Postby Laceflower » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:24 am

Blue Tongues exhibit no outward sexual dimorphism. Mine exhibited every "sign" of being female - narrow tail base, narrow head, etc. But "she" dropped sperm plugs after waking up from brumation. There just really is no way to conclusively tell unless you see dropped sperm plugs with their poo, but even then, the absence of plugs doesn't conclusively make it a female, just like never seeing everted hemipenes while he uses the toilet doesn't make him female.

I guess in short, look for stringy white mucus near his poo (not his urate; sperm plugs are a milky translucent color), and of you see them, you've definitely got a boy. If not... well, you may still have a boy. It's so hard to tell with these guys.
Aiming for a Master's in Herpetology.
1.0 Northern BTS - Riff-Raff
3.0 Leopard Geckos - Snowblind, Supernaut, Frankie
1.0 Bearded Dragon - Mushu

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”