Enclosure Pictures

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Enclosure Pictures

Postby Susann » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:36 pm

I thought we might keep this a sticky for now, as we get people asking for enclosure pictures every so often.
So post away people!

Feel free to tell us some facts, like: size and make/brand of tank(s), what species you keep in them, what kind of light and heat source(s) you use, what type of substrate, what you do for humidity, etc.
And not just tanks; we'd love to see your rack systems as well and hear how you run those!

IMG_3693.JPG

IMG_3689.JPG

These days I actually have another row on top with two more of the smaller tanks ...I guess my more recent pictures must be on my phone...
The tanks are made by Showcase Cages; the two big ones are 60"L x 24"W x 24"H, the smaller ones are 48"L x 24"W x 18"H.
I keep Meraukes.
Heat/light is a CHE on a dimmer and a UVB compact fluorescent in the top, back "well" of each tank, and fluorescent tubes at the top, front.
Substrate is anything from a bark/mulch/moss blend to an AstroTurf type carpet; I keep trying new things every so often.
Humidity is supplied from a MistKing mister with a nozzle into each tank.

I'll do an update sometime soon and show what they look like these days, when they aren't so bare...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Enclosure Pictures

Postby splashy07 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:44 am

Wow, Susann! Those are not enclosures. They are luxury condominiums. Just what I'd expect from the Merauke Mama! If there is an afterlife I want to return as one of your skinks! Awesome setup.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:15 pm

splashy07 wrote:If there is an afterlife I want to return as one of your skinks!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Meeper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Meeper » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:40 am

Well, his cage isn't exactly super snazzy, but I'm working on it bit by bit. I think I have finally settled on a name for him, he live in my art corner, so he is Leo! Aka, Leonardo DaSkinky! I will post more pictures when I get it dressed up better, any ideas are much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:18 pm

Looking good Meeper!

I like to supply a hide on the cool side as well as a water bowl that the skink can fit into if he chooses. Other than that, it's looking great!
chaosapiant
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby chaosapiant » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:44 pm

Here is my very basic setup: a front opening 40 breeder previously used to house Leopard Geckos. Hence the desert wallpaper. :)
Jasminelotfy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jasminelotfy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:27 pm

Heres my 40 gal. Breeder for my Almost 1yr old Northern! He's gonna shed so he's currently not as bright and pretty as usual.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Postby Dakota » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:08 pm

Mine aren't so fancy. These are CB-110 tubs, which are 39" x 20". Larger than a 40 gallon breeder enclosure. :) They are quite large (but appear small in photos).

My locking system. ;)

Opened lids.

Lids taken off showing all the sphagnum moss.

Maxx hiding.

Vera also hiding - sorta.

This set up is similar to what Joe Ball does with his Australian stuff. Differences are I use moss, instead of hay (can't use hay for Tiliqua gigas), and I use orchid bark instead of butcher's paper. Humidity stays between 80-82%, constantly.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Doodle14
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Doodle14 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:30 am

My current setup for my 6 month old Meruake. It's just a regular 55 gallon. I have an animal plastics T10 coming in may and I'm super excited.
0.0.1 Merauke BTS
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:12 am

Meeper wrote:Well, his cage isn't exactly super snazzy, but I'm working on it bit by bit. I think I have finally settled on a name for him, he live in my art corner, so he is Leo! Aka, Leonardo DaSkinky! I will post more pictures when I get it dressed up better, any ideas are much appreciated!

Hahaa, I had a fish called Leonardo da Fishie!

I love making the fake rocks and such - Once I move Zekes getting a whole new snazzy crib, so I'll definitely be contributing then!
superfirepython
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby superfirepython » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:46 pm

yes it's missing a lid lol. that's getting done today :) going to add some more decor and substrate as well but I like this setup much more than his old 40g
Cyrinus
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Cyrinus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Dakota, how do you keep the tubs warm enough?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Hey guys, so I finally was able to switch Noodles off of the Aspen and onto Jungle Mix with Reptibark on top. The Jungle Mix is supposed to be wetted to help add moisture which I did. Not to much though. I still see that the humidity is only 30%. Any suggestions? His basking spot is between 100-105. Then he has ambient temp around 80-85. The lowest spot by where I feed him is about 70's. I attached some pictures. Let me know what you all think. I appreciate it.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:44 pm

More pictures
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:21 am

Janella, I hope you don't mind, but I'd like this thread to be about showing pictures of our tanks; so that people don't have to scroll through a bunch of various discussions, I'd like to answer your humidity question in THIS thread instead, which also already has lots of suggestions on increasing humidity. :)
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:15 pm

Yes Susann, I don't mind at all. I am very confused though because I am doing everything that was sugged and still ain't having very good luck. Thanks
Wiwaxia
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Wiwaxia » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:21 am

These are my two 53 gallon ones housing one skink each. They love their logs and the mossy wall, which is a great asset to maintain humidity. Thinking of adding some plants too.
encl2.jpg

encl1.jpg

encl3.jpg
"To go once a year to the zoo, to seek out the elephant, stand in front of her, greet her, and say: Elephant, I believe you came about by random mutations"
jesswebb93
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jesswebb93 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:56 pm

First off: I apologise that the picture below doesn't capture the entirety of my IJ's enclosure. I had to crop the picture a ridiculous amount so that I could upload it.

Anyway, it's a 40 gallon breeder with a deep dome lamp fixture containing a 100 watt mercury vapor bulb on top of the back side of the enclosure, which is used as a basking spot. There's also a heat mat on the side of the enclosure on the hot end as well, which I keep on 24/7. The substrate is sphagnum moss and there is a rock hide (which she basks on top of sometimes) and a log hide on the hot end as well. I also added a plastic vine for her to use for cover. The middle of the enclosure has a large cork bark round that she likes to lay in and the cool end has a large water dish. I keep a towel on top of the cool end to help keep humidity inside.

She seems to like her enclosure. She spends a lot of time burrowed in the moss, if she's not out basking on the hot end.
AvaRose
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby AvaRose » Mon May 02, 2016 8:44 pm

This is Dandy chilling out in his tank.
IMG_20151129_133547.jpg

At the time when I took this picture, I had run out of cypress mulch and mixed it with aspen to make up the difference. I have since gone back to using 100% mulch (I know it is better for meraukes). I am really loving the look of all the tanks with the moss and it sounds like a good way to keep humidity up.

Also, my tank (40 breeder) is sad because it has a huge crack down the left side, which I've covered up with packing tape and blamed on the T-Rex. I am planning to get him a new tank I've just been debating with myself whether I want to shell out the money for one of those fancy showcases cages. I am planning on moving in the fall and those look sturdy enough that I won't have to worry about them cracking in transit.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Wed May 04, 2016 12:17 pm

AvaRose wrote:I want to shell out the money for one of those fancy showcases cages. I am planning on moving in the fall and those look sturdy enough that I won't have to worry about them cracking in transit.

Nope, no worries at all. You could get the biggest one and carry it to the moving truck yourself. Just save the box with Styrofoam sheets that the doors come in and pack them back up in that, and you'll have no worries at all.

Very handsome guy you have there!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”