Indonesian species/humidity/RI

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Re: Indonesian species/humidity/RI

Postby Dakota » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:11 am

I've been digging around, and I have took it upon myself to convert relative humidity to absolute humidity. Factors such as relative humidity, barometric pressure, dew point were all factored.

23.8889°C at 60% RH came out to be 12.863904632192995 g/m³
37.7778°C at 20% RH came out to be 9.059344021949272 g/m³

The difference is quite exponential.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:36 am

Dakota,something your missing with the big temp gradient thing i believe is you seem ti think if cool ends under 80 then they bask more

that's not true

they bask for one reason,to maintain there preffered body temp,which is low to mid 30s ,look that up in the blue bible

now if you watch what they do in there cages,they show you,a reptile basking all the time is because its hot spot isn't allowing it to reach preffered body temp,hence its sitting there all the time trying to,if cage offers a basking temp that exceeds prefered body temps,they don't need to bask heaps as they can easily reach preffered body temp and exceed it,and they then only need to shuffle about enclosure to maintain that preffered body temp

in short if they are constantly basking that's them telling you your cage isntt offering them the right basking temp,just like if they never bask your enclosure is way to hot

what do u do over different seasons?

if breeding is your goal,80s to 100 isn't going to cut it

cooling tropical animals like temperate animals puts them at an extremely high risk of respitory infections,again its taking choices away from them,and its you telling them what to do,they have been doing this all by them selves for eons,with out people telling them what to do

what puzzles me,is you want to gimmick others that are having some success with gigs types but your concentrating in dates to pr them,that will differ between say Florida and Utah as one example,and also with how there actually being cycled

look at the successes,and note that common denominator,big temp gradients not minute hot ones,cool cold ends or even most of cage over winter is good,but still with hot end that allows them,if they choose,the easily reach that prefer body temp,just like in nature

choices,choices for them,if u don't offer them choices how can you truelly understand what it is that they want?
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Dakota wrote:I took it upon myself to convert relative humidity to absolute humidity. Factors such as barometric pressure, dew point were all factored.
If you're telling us you factored them in, I'd be interested in knowing what you set them as.

And just to make it easier to understand what you're telling us, I took the liberty of converting Celsius back to Fahrenheit and taking off a few billionths of decimals. So a few more people know what you're talking about.

75°F at 60% RH came out to be 12.86 g/m³
100°F at 20% RH came out to be 9.06 g/m³

The numbers may seem exponential to you, but to me it would be more telling if you for example gave us the numbers for actual humidity of 100°F at 30%, and 40%, and 50%... then you can compare and actually see how everything factors in. And also, because I do not believe that the relative humidity IS 20% on my basking spot if the rest of my tank is at 70%...
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:30 pm

I was a bit struck by this, as I wasn't aware that there is a particular issue with RIs in Indos relative to Easterns for example ?? :noknow:

I understand that Meraukes seem to be susceptible to the "mystery" disease - which may be related to keeping conditions, but Halmaheras?...
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Bluish » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Scotts1au wrote:I was a bit struck by this, as I wasn't aware that there is a particular issue with RIs in Indos relative to Easterns for example ?? :noknow:

I understand that Meraukes seem to be susceptible to the "mystery" disease - which may be related to keeping conditions, but Halmaheras?...

Yeah i've found the meraukes are pretty susceptible to getting ri's. They certainly inhabit a more tropical environment than most of the Aussie species. I heat my room for most of the year and cages all year. I have to constantly (bold and underlined) supplement humidity and have still had the odd RI. Usually in feb/march. They've been easily cured with a bit of extra attention though. I've kept a number of tropical species in the past and the Indo bluies seem about the most susceptible that i've worked with.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:29 pm

Yes, Halmaheras are extremely bad for getting the "mystery illness" very, very easily. Probably about 1-3 a month get posted on the various Facebook groups. Most usually are housed on Aspen.

Susann, since I decided to delve into this again, I'll answer your questions soon.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 pm

You know, since you told me you weren't going to I just spent time taking out all the bolding of the questions... I figured if you really felt like I'm beating a dead horse then there's no need for you to just be humoring me.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:22 pm

:lol: Whoops.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:46 pm

are u saying keeping them on adpen is causing respitory infections

or is it just assumed as everyone thinks there temps are spot on,alto of the time you ask these keepers with issues what are there temps they can't tell you,you cop the,oh vet said my temps are perfect or feels hot enough to me

i don't think all cases could be attributed to to dry a substrate,there's also the issue of keeping them to wet where bacteria tend to flourish

a concern i see alto of lately on Facebook pages is folk going the bio active substrate,but having zero knowledge
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Their temperatures are not always spot on. A lot of the times they are keeping them very cool. I'd say most say their humidity is 20-40% when they are asking for help. Not heard of any cases from being too wet, yet. Them being the most tropical form of Bluetongue has not been adopted by most, so I doubt we will see them being kept too wet for a while. :) I always tell people to keep humidity as high as possible without making them live in a puddle of mud. Just add a little water to the substrate about once a week and it is usually good.

What is your concern with Bioactive?
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:00 am

not a super concern as such,but alot of them havnt worked out basic husbandry parameters i guess thinking bio active will be the answer to Bluetongues nirvana

eg over complicating things more before they have grasped the basic essentials

like u mentioned above ,not having temps correct,then adding a wet substrate,not everyone grasps the basics,as im sure you see often enough?

to cool a cage with moisture adds a higher risk of them ri ,s due to exposing them to cold damp

not offering enough heat is probably the biggest issue Bluetongues face,the extras on top of that just add to further complications,remember to,blue when crook often need slightly warmer conditions to help immune system fight,if they struggle holding ,let alone being able to get up to prefered body temp then there behind the ball from the word go

if i had a dollar for every time someone on here couldn't answer with there actual temps but insisted there spot on,i could afford a colony of hypermels at usa prices
Erma
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Erma » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:54 pm

One hundred percent normal

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”