Bluey appetite during shed

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!

How does your bluey's appetite change during the shed cycle?

Increases
7%
Stays the same
27%
Decreases
60%
Not sure
7%

Total votes: 15
Tigergenesis
The Blue Bayou
The Blue Bayou

Bluey appetite during shed

Postby Tigergenesis » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:04 am

Just wondering how your bluey's appetite's are when they are in the 'shed cycle' - not just the day of shed, but mostly during the rest of the cycle: from the time they first get dull (go opaque) up until the day of shed.

I realize for those with more than one bluey it may differ and answering the poll may be difficult - unless they're all the same.

Cole is just finishing his first shed with me and he seems to be like Phoebe. From the time they go opaque they eat like pigs!!!!! It's that way until they actually begin to shed their skin. At that point they don't eat as much and when they are done shedding they go back to a normal appetite.

When I went to feed them their usual Sunday Bluey Brunch (fruit salad with worms or snails), Phoebe gobbled her food up. So then I went and cut up some more fruit and she gobbled it up again. I did this a few more times before she finally quit eating. I didn't realize she was in her shed cycle, but when I brought her second serving and she lunged out and grabbed the spoon - it became apparent.

0.1.1 Irian Jaya – “Princess Phoebe” and “Adrian”
0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Kei – “Green Grissom”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”
Trogdor
Watermelon Man
Watermelon Man

Postby Trogdor » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:30 am

My IJ's seem to stay the same, I don't think they have refused food simply because they were in shed..

I will have to see how the Eastern does, I think she is starting pre shed now.
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops

Postby Dragontears » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:25 am

I put stays the same, but there should be more clarification...
Mamma retains her piggy appetite at any time of the month. The only time she'll refuse food is the day of her shed.
Sprout doesn't change AT ALL! Half the time I don't even notice her shed as she sheds completely underground and sheds so quickly and efficiently that there really isnt' much difference between pre and post shed Sprout appearance. I think she eats most of her shed too. Stewey and Nona go through eating spurts, but I haven't noticed a strong correlation between that and shedding.
Corycat
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Corycat » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:29 am

Cookie eats fine during the entire thing; maybe a little less on shed day, Bosco goes off eating a few days around when his shed comes off, the Keis don't eat much at all anyway so I can't tell what their shedding habits are and the northerns I'm not sure of yet...
DixieDiana
Whistling Dixie
Whistling Dixie

Postby DixieDiana » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:33 am

The IJ doesn't change, just mostly doesn't eat much during the actual shed.

The Eastern....starts hiding a few days before shedding and appetite decreases.

The Kei.....starts decreasing as soon as she starts graying then eats like a pig starting the day after the shed.
:blueyprint: Precious Dixie Diana :blueyprint:
Dec. 23, 1998 - April 26, 2006
If love could have saved you,
you would have lived forever!
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Jenn » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:39 pm

Frankie doesn't eat so I'm not going to count her.

Kaylee will eat less when she is shedding. She is my moodest durning sheds as well. She doesn't want to be touched or looked at.

Spike continues to eat like a pig. He will even stop rubbing against his log to come and eat. He takes is food very seriously!
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:
Bridget
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Bridget » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:30 pm

Phantom will eat no matter what day it is! He packs it in 'til he can't fit anymore! hahahaha If he was in charge of when he ate he would be one CHUBBY bluey!! :hehe: Anyway, sheds don't seem to phase him food wise...he just gets a bit grumpy...

Azure goes through phases with eating anyway...sometimes she eats great then other times (for apparently no reason) she's a stinker and won't eat no matter what I try to feed her....I think I've noticed that she doesn't eat as much when she's preshed..but her eating habits are pretty unperdictable so I can't say for sure.... :noknow:
Bridget

1.0 Northern - Azure
1.0 Caramel Northern - Phantom
1.1 Sunset Northern - Castle & Neptune
1.1 Jones Armadillo Lizard - Spaz & Xena
0.1 Ball Python - Athena
Tiliquagirl
Skink Goddess
Skink Goddess

Postby Tiliquagirl » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:04 am

Mine vary, I can't remember which ones do what but the mojority of blue tongues I've had don't eat much when they're shedding.
Kids - Kayla Renae 16.03.2008 and Ashton Noah 19.04.2009
Budgies - Craig and Zoe
Blotched blue tongue - Lilly
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:42 am

I havn't noticed any patterns in shedding and eating.... :noknow:

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
Jane
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jane » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:49 pm

Maxi tends to stop eating for about 4-5 days before shedding. I offer the same amounts of food and "treats" as i would normally, but he doesn't touch anything. Maxi also paces before shedding. About a week before his tummy goes white, he paces up and down his enclosure. I started a thread about this some time ago but l didn't link it to shedding until now (diaries are useful!!)
Jane..

yer = yeah = yep. THEY ALL MEAN YES!!!

1.0.0 Eastern (Maximus or "Maxi")

1 Fantastic Husband - Alex
1 Handsome Son - Jack 6
1 Gorgious Daughter - Sara - 4 months

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”