Ant problem

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
lucasrusinak
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Ant problem

Postby lucasrusinak » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:15 am

I just moved my room into the basement of my house, and theres a little bit of an ant problem down here that were trying to take control of. Just this morning I noticed a few ants in Toothless' tank around where i put his food down yesterday (I'm assuming there were a few small scraps left around that I didn't notice.) I immediately started to kill them and clean the tank a bit, but I was wondering if they were a harm to skinks. They aren't fire ants or anything and they arent big. I will continue to clean and keep an eye on his enclosure and him to make sure everything is okay, but it would be nice to know if these little guys are a problem for my skink for future reference.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Ant problem

Postby Susann » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:46 pm

I know even regular ants can be a huge nuisance stressor for reptiles even if they aren't fire ants or very big. I don't know what the answer is as to whether they can actually do any harm to your skink, but just the fact that ants are generally always on the move when outside their nest and can bug your skink incessantly, would cause me to move the tank until the ants are taken care of.
Just my thoughts though, maybe someone else has dealt with a similar problem and has a different view?
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
nick22
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby nick22 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:31 am

Hello,

I am looking for some ants control products, does anyone suggest me good ants control products which are not harmful for kids?? :)
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 am

Fruon paint around the bottom of the viv , dries to form a super slippery film that crawling insects like ants can't climb past. I've used this to keep tiny house ants and baby roaches out of my vivs.

https://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProd ... ?pid=2871A

I'd be very reluctant to use ant baits or ant-sand (boron based ant poison) in case the lizard ate some the poisoned ants.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”