Question BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
scinchitalia
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Question BTS

Postby scinchitalia » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi, I hope not to have the wrong section, I have a question to ask yourself, gave me this Tiliqua for Christmas, they passed off as Tiliqua gigas gigas, now on facebook, making her see a Couple of people have told me to be a T.g. gigas of Halmahera (Included Dakota, this even if I am not mistaken on the site :D), a person instead told me instead to be a hybrid of gigas evanescens, and she is 49-50cm ca.
I hope it is understandable, I use the translator
PS. Sex in BTS you notice?, Claim that it is impossible to see it in various social / forum

https://imageshack.com/i/5ilhphj

https://imageshack.com/i/1np2w2j

https://imageshack.com/i/1f7o7wj

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... 6&refid=13
1.1.0 Tiliqua gigas halmahera
1.1.0 Tiliqua nigrolutea
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Re: Question BTS

Postby donkeybuff » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:05 pm

That does look like a T. Gigas gigas Halmahera form. I do not see any evanescens in it. From the picture, I would guess male, but it is hard to tell.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:58 pm

Looks gigas gigas to me to,which halmaheras are as well,solid looking one
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Postby Dakota » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:26 am

Just to cease any possible confusion, I was the one that told him it was a pure Halmahera gigas gigas, not the hybrid part..

(Ti ho detto essa era pieno Halmahera! :wink: )
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Postby Dakota » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:27 am

I would also guess male.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:44 am

Hi and welcome. I have moved this to the correct forum :D
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
ReiDaPanda
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReiDaPanda » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:45 am

so i have an issue with one of my skinks his name is Rise i posted a bit about him in the past about humidity issues good news solved it but for some reason he seems to refuse to dig or even try and use his claws i know how to file and trim nearly all reptiles nails since i got a job as a care taker in my local zoo in the reptile house and my boss says i handle the reptiles well and due to our exabits having several skinks blue tongues mostly for the importance to this issue i have no issues with handling the skinks given my work place also acts as a rehabilitation center as well.
my issue is that rises toes no mater what i have tried to do with keeping them healthy haven't worked he he has lost a toe on his front foot and a toe on his back foot and all but two toes look dry and boney with the other two seemingly being swollen my boss the head of the reptile house has suggested that i remove his substrate which was a mix of coconut fiber, sphagam moss and firr bark, i use this for my other blue tong metphys who is healthy and very active and frequently climbs and up roots her basking stone when she gets bored. rise is health and active as well just his toes look bad.
he has 3"6"3" tank with a reptile mat in the botom with a sheet of paper towel in his hid that is moist and changed twice daily. he has serval plastics vine plants plants a log hide and a hemp hammock (which he likes quite a bit)
he also has a water dish as well that's filed twice daily as well. he also has a mister that runs constantly keeping humidity at 50% (lower than it should be i know but i live in an arid area and even the reptile house has issues keeping humidity above 50% as well) i do get both rise and metphys tanks to spike to 100% by using a zoomed bist spray that has added aloe that my boss recommends which has kept metphys perfectly healthy as well as the skinks at work.
im not sure what to do about rise but i know for sure he is a maruke blue tonged skink same for metphys and 3 skinks at work i have been working with every skink for about 2 years in this case and the conditions for each one are exactly the same so what could be causing rises poor toe health?
ReiDaPanda
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReiDaPanda » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:04 am

questions about skink sizes i decently famailar with them and such given i own 2 marukes and work in a reptile house at a zoo which has 3 marukes 2 hallameras 3 northerns 1 Irian Jaya and 1 Tanimbar
im most familiar with marukes and northers for the most part with marukes normally averaging about 2.5 feet but i wanted to question this given that my skink rise is significantly bigger at about 3 feet 7 inches last i measured him my understanding is that most reptiles will grow based on how much they eat and the limitation of there home for the most part i normal only have my skinks at home in there cage to sleep i often will actually have rise in a play pen tent with a heating pad and due to some troubles with humidity since i live in the desert i bathe him daily in warm water with reptile electrolyte solutions for the bath to bypass a constant need for high humidity which for the most part works well.
he is by the way only 3 years old and my boss a herpetologist and reptile care taker for about 40 some odd years is impressed by his size and activity.

is 3"7' abnormal for marukes by chance cuse no other skink of the same species as him have got as big as quickly as he did cus at my work we have a maruke named tiamat who is about 8 and is barely pushing 2"3" if that helps.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”