Still Burrowing??

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
steiner302
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Still Burrowing??

Postby steiner302 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:19 am

I received my BTS yesterday and since 8pm last night he is still burrowing. Is he ok? Should I leave food in his enclosure or should I feed him when I see him? Last night he was lunging and snapping at my husband and I so I don't want a repeat of last night plus I want him to get used to his new home. He's only 8 weeks old.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: Still Burrowing??

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Normal behaviour for a newly aquired baby,scared and stresses so they hide,leave food in there as it may draw him out,they take a little time to adjust to new surroundings,cage,people oogling at them ect,its only been a day so needs more time but try not to stress,should settle in a week or two,maybe sooner
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Postby donkeybuff » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:53 pm

I suggest going into the cage only to feed, water, and clean for the first 2 weeks. He may not eat for a few days, but don't start worrying unless he starts losing weight.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
steiner302
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby steiner302 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:55 pm

That is what I'm worried about. I never see him. I've been home all day and not once did he come out of his burrow. Last night when my husband dug him out he was *ticked. How do I know he is not dead? Is it normal for them to burrow like this?
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Again,yes when in new home,cage and new surrounds they often need time to adjust and spend most of there time in hiding,its only been a day you have had it so will be at its worst,they wont starve if theu dont eat for a while,few weeks,plus its often the hunger that will tempt them out

Baby reptiles are preyed on by alot of animals,so its natural they will be scared even in captivity,its a natural instinct

Try not to stress as it sounds like normal behavior so far

Keep putting food and water in and im sure it will pop out soon,it will likely run and hide for a while though even when it starts popping out,again a natural instinct

One thing to remember is it will be ten thousand times more scared of uou,than you are of it

Its not being aggressive,if they cant run and hide they will do there threat display hoping to trick a predator(they see uou as that) into being to scared to try eating them
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 pm

From my experience they don't die in hiding. If he's about to die he'll come out of hiding, lay out in the open, and die. If you find him laying out in the open, and non-responsive when approached/touched, then worry.

It is very normal for them to burrow. It is normal for them to spent most of their day burrowed/hiding.
Toria Dawn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Toria Dawn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 am

Fatal is right. I always get worried when mine burrows for a week, but he always comes out and is social afterwards. Your wee baby might take a while to get social, but just have patience - both for the familiarity to come, and for the times it feels like burrowing. As long as the temps are correct you have nothing to worry about - as Richard emphasizes, yor baby's behaviour is completely normal.
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Royal Hendrix Mudson
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos - Bagel & Donut
0.0.2 Bearded Dragons - Jabba & Han
steiner302
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby steiner302 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:48 am

Update:
He is starting to come out of burrowing but now when he sees anyone in the room, he hides. I'm looking forward to the day when he sees me he greets me. :(
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:48 pm

It will come sooner than you think,its good hes popping out already so soon

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”