To keep Apollo in, or not to keep Apollo in?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!

Should I bring the lizards inside during Winter because it's too cold?

Only the shingleback.
No votes
Bring all of them inside.
100%

Total votes: 14
Geoff Gates
Bluey Whisperer
Bluey Whisperer

Postby Geoff Gates » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 am

I wouldn't leave the shingleback in the outdoor enclosure for extended periods at any time of the year.....and it is not because of the cold.

Shinglebacks stuggle surviving east and south of the Great Dividing Range. They have problems with the humidity and are likely to succumb to a respiratory infection.

I learn't this the hard way when I was a little boy back in the late 1960's.

I couldn't understand why my Blotched & Easterns were thriving and the Stumpytails would sooner or later die. When I think of the 'Living Hell' I put the poor things through I cringe.

I also would not leave an Eastern who's origin was Queensland outside in a Victorian winter.

Just my opinion FWIW.
Geoff.
Trogdor
Watermelon Man
Watermelon Man

Postby Trogdor » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:20 am

Wow, sorry you had to deal with that Geoff! That is pretty bad, yet, good info! Thanks for sharing.
Tiliquagirl
Skink Goddess
Skink Goddess

Postby Tiliquagirl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:45 am

Chuckie the eastern was born here, I think he's just being a sook and doesn't like the outdoors so I'm going to bring him in. And to save all the worrying and trouble I think I'll just bring the other two inside aswell :roll: .
Kids - Kayla Renae 16.03.2008 and Ashton Noah 19.04.2009
Budgies - Craig and Zoe
Blotched blue tongue - Lilly
Geoff Gates
Bluey Whisperer
Bluey Whisperer

Postby Geoff Gates » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:04 am

TQ,

Check page 86 of your BT bible.... and commit to memory

Geoff.
Tiliquagirl
Skink Goddess
Skink Goddess

Postby Tiliquagirl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:10 am

I read it (thank you for telling me about that, I haven't got through the whole book yet) and there is just too many if's and but's about keeping them outside, so I'm going to bring all of them in! Problem solved!
Budgies - Craig and Zoe
Geoff Gates
Bluey Whisperer
Bluey Whisperer

Postby Geoff Gates » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:20 am

Pity.... I think your blotched & eastern would thrive outside.

One thing though. When you leave your BTs in outdoor enclosures they tend to revert back to their natural behaviours. This means that some may become reclusive and you might not see them for days and if they see you first they will run for cover.

They will also hiss & might try to bite when picked up. So if you like having them as a pet that you put on your shoulder or watch TV with keeping them outside might not be a good idea.

If you'd prefer they live a more natural existence then go with the outside enclosure as long as they can withstand the climatic conditions where you live. (eg T.R. Aspera struggles in Melbourne & along the East coast of Australia).

Geoff.
Tiliquagirl
Skink Goddess
Skink Goddess

Postby Tiliquagirl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:40 am

Well I'm close to Melbourne so I'll bring the shingleback inside. I want to bring the eastern inside aswell because I don't think he likes the outdoors, he has hardly had anything to eat since he's been out there and is looking a bit thin. So that only leaves the blotched, Ernesto who is actually doing quiet well outside. Maybe I'll just leave him outside... This is getting confusing!
Budgies - Craig and Zoe
Pike
Tiliqua Tracker
Tiliqua Tracker

Postby Pike » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:18 am

I have never had problems keeping shinglebacks outside on the east coast, and have never believed it was a problem, i think the problem was people pulling them out of the bush and taking them back to the city and of course the animals are super stressed and very vunerable to bacterial diseases.If they are adjusted to captivity they should be fine. I have kept shinglebacks in Sydney, Mullumbimby ( where the humidity is so high all your books go wavey, and the clothes in the closet go mouldy) and mine have been outdoors here in Brisbane for 5 years without problems.Of course Melb is cooler and maybe they wont do to well there, but you cant say the whole east coast. Just my opinion and what Ive found.
Tiliquagirl
Skink Goddess
Skink Goddess

Postby Tiliquagirl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:24 am

Now that I think about it, there aren't actually any stumpytails around here I don't think. You can go to Golden Beach and find some there which is maybe a half hour drive but no one ever says they see them in the bush near Sale... I don't know though, maybe they are here and just very sneaky!
Budgies - Craig and Zoe
Bridget
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Bridget » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:01 pm

I am definitely no expert in this area but I have found that with most things in life it's way better to play it safe rather then be sorry.... :noknow:

If you bring them inside you KNOW they will all be okay and taken care of...if you leave any of them outside you may be taking a chance.....if it were me...I wouldn't take any chances...but those are just my thoughts...

I don't live in AU and I'm not an expert...so take it or leave it...just thought I'd share... :D
Bridget

1.0 Northern - Azure
1.0 Caramel Northern - Phantom
1.1 Sunset Northern - Castle & Neptune
1.1 Jones Armadillo Lizard - Spaz & Xena
0.1 Ball Python - Athena
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:50 pm

And Geoff made some great points about species being native to their particular area of AU, and how they would deal with weather in that different area. Imagine if you caught a bunch of Gila Monsters down in Arizona (Southern heat), or New Mexico, then brought them to the freezing winters of Wisconsin (far north) to live outside in a setup you made?

Just something to consider...

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”