how long can my bluey go without his heat lamp?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
bluet0nguel0ver
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

how long can my bluey go without his heat lamp?

Postby bluet0nguel0ver » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:37 am

so Im picking my baby bluey up next week hopefully, ive waited to get over the loss of my past one :( but now I feel ready to get this little one.
the problem is he lives about a 10-20 minute drive away .
my past bluey loved basking ( as they all do)

another thing
what do you guys do when theres a power outage and the heat lamps don't go:/ how do you manage?
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Re: how long can my bluey go without his heat lamp?

Postby Dakota » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:09 am

Well.. to be honest.. they don't need one. People have loads of success with just a heating pad, but I personally give them an option to either bask or not.. I used to use a heating pad back years ago, but they seemed more happy basking.

All in all, they won't die if you decide to use a heating pad, but they prefer basking.. or at least, I've never heard of a death from using one.

The problem heating pad users face is the correct temperatures.. and temperature gradient.

As for the power outage, I suppose 1 day is fine if they are on an empty stomach, but if they just ate, take them outside to bask in the sun for a little bit.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
bluet0nguel0ver
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby bluet0nguel0ver » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:13 am

ok:) thank you :)
down south they've had some power outages for a couple of days:/ im concerned about night time when he won't be able to bask..
Toria Dawn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Toria Dawn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:53 am

I wouldn't be concerned with night time, they are diurnal, which means they are awake during the day and they sleep at night. Your bluey shouldn't need to bask at night, he should be curled up sleeping somewhere.
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Royal Hendrix Mudson
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos - Bagel & Donut
0.0.2 Bearded Dragons - Jabba & Han
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Kurt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:40 am

I keep a few hand warmers in case of power outage. I can't take credit for the idea though, I got it from someone on this forum. I forget who though...
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:50 am

If a skink has no food in it's gut it can go days, weeks, even months without needing to warm up (read up on brumation over the winter). If a skink has food in it, it needs to be able to warm up to digest the food, otherwise the food goes bad in the gut. This is very bad.

You need to make sure you always have a way for the skink to warm up in case of a power outage. For example say you feed your skink, and right after the power goes out. So keep some of those disposable heat pads on hand (never let animals come into direct contact with them though).

On trips and outings of a few hours you don't need to worry about extra heat, just make sure the skink neither gets too cold or too warm.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Just a little something I posted many moons ago....
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23296
with lots of good suggestions from others.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:26 am

nz seems to have southern form easterns,night heat is probably not needed where you are,as it gets cool in that part of aus as well over night,when ive had them indoors i havnt ever heated them at night,the odd day here and there of no heat wont harm them,probably more natural for them as here it can be hot then absolute poxy with coldness even in summer,prefferably you want to always have options during the day but if u cant,they will be fine if u lose power for a say or 2

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”