Heat and humidity in my enclosure

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
L1zardL0ve
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Heat and humidity in my enclosure

Postby L1zardL0ve » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:08 am

My tempurature is only at 71 degrees f which is way too low it has a dimmer and it's on as high as it goes. It's a 150 watt in a 18 in tall enclosure. It also says the humidity is very high which i know is not good! I let my eco earth dry for two days and a night i thought it would be good but when i put it in it made the glass a little wet, will the substrate dry up? Is this humidity really bad for my skink? Will my tank heat up?? My blueys only been in the tank since yesterday.
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Re: Heat and humidity in my enclosure

Postby Bird_Brain » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:34 am

I moved to correct forum.

How are you measuring temps and humidity? Pictures of set up would be helpful
Brad
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:38 am

I don't see how a 150W bulb wouldn't heat up more.... maybe there's something wrong with the dimmer, can you take the dimmer off? Is it a regular incandescent bulb?
The humidity should be just fine; what type of BTS do you have? As soon as you get the temp up a bit the humidity should dry right up.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:16 am

perhaps 71 is the ambient temp

with out pics and or more info its pretty hard to answer,but u should need a higher wattage,if anything a lower wattage,im curious to how you are measuring temps,and where u are measuring them
L1zardL0ve
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby L1zardL0ve » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:17 am

I have both the sensors at the hotter end of the tank because that's where he is all the time he's still very shy, i want to know if hes getting the right heat all the time, and i have a normal incandescent bulb yes and also a uva uvb, i tried covering up the top for an hour one day and it raised the temperature a few degrees but if i don't do that it stays the same, i can post a picture if it will help
mywave
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby mywave » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:17 am

These guys will have all the advice you need! will chuck in my 2 cents because their advice has already solved my similar heat issues.
1st thing was to buy a temp gun off ebay, 29 bux, this gave me all the temp info I needed.
armed with this i could find the warm end, cool end, and basking spot temps.
The care guide and forum searches on this site give you the correct temps to aim for.

Its been real cold here in NZ, and the ambient room temp will drop between 14c during the day and 8c at night.
I had to insulate the enclosure, allowing for a little airflow for fresh air, So covering the top,
as well as using aspen shavings for substrate, which appear to retain more heat than other substrates I tried ( according to temp gun )
I had to boost the height of the basking spot until it was the right temp, mine is now about 38 degrees c generally.

You may find you get more heat from the bulb onto basking spot if you use an incandescent flood light, has a little reflector inside it.
I also have had to use a Ceramic heat emitter ( which cost a pretty penny ) to maintain ambient enclosure temps.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”