It's winter..

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

It's winter..

Postby Shortie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Well as we know, it's November, and over here in Scotland it is FREEZING!!! My room where I keep my skink is super cold. I am currently wrapped up in two duvets right now!! But I am awfully worried about Slinky. He's got stats in his viv. A dimmer stat for his 100w bulb and a pulse stat for the ceramic. I might be panicking but when I open up the viv, it does not feel warm at all! During the day the ceramic goes crazy which tells me that his viv isn't getting enough heat! And the dimmer stat doesn't dim the bulb at all and the sensor is placed on his basking spot. What else can I do to keep my baby warm? I'm worried he might brumate and freeze to death :( Am I over reacting?
Slinky the Tanimbar :)
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Re: It's winter..

Postby Jeff » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Do you have an infrared heat gun to check the surface temperatures? All that really matters is that the temperatures are right. If they are, you have nothing to worry about!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Shortie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm

They're 4 degrees C below according to the temperature sensor that sits beside the sensor on his basking spot and the stats are turned up to their highest point. I don't have an infrared heat gun unfortunately. I was gonna buy one then I lost my job and money is running very low :(
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby hurricanejen » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:03 pm

You might be able to cycle them down to brumate for the winter while the weather is so cold. That's what I do with mine rather than try and fight how cold it gets in my area for winter - instead, makes it super easy to maintain ideal brumation temps!

-Jen
I used to be cool.
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Shortie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:07 pm

I have never dealt with brumation before. I was gonna try it with my beardie last year but unfortunately, he fell ill and passed away :( Not long after I adopted Slinky but never brumated him because he was only 8 months at the time and I read somewhere that it's too young? I don't know much about brumation either. I read up about it when I had my beardie but that was a year ago and that info has slipped my mind lol!
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:18 pm

what type of cage do you have him in? If you can cover the top with plywood (leaving room to breathe), you can probably keep heat in that way. Get an IR temp gun or zapper, and make sure its appropriate temps. Please dont feed him if its too cold in his cage, he could get very sick or die, not being able to get warm enough to digest food :(
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Shortie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:25 pm

It's a beechwood viv :) it's about 8 degrees Celsius in here right now. Brrrrrr!! I'll ask for one for my birthday! :) He does this weird thing when he eats, he takes two mouthfuls, wipes his mouth then walks about his viv for 2 minutes then goes back to eating then repeats it a few times then he sits under his basking bulb! Is that normal? Or is he just a strange eater?
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Just moving this to the general discussion forum.

They get picky and slow down in winter. Some just naturally brumate, others seem to stay awake despite the change in seasons. It sounds like he's naturally winding down, which is fine. If you keep the lights on as before and have noticed a drop in the vivarium temps, you'll most likely need to increase the bulb wattage, or even add another bulb, but even with your temps increased, he may still exhibit brumation type of behaviours, cutting back on food, less activity etc. if you are continuing to offer food, you'll need to ensure his temperatures are high enough In the basking end to allow for digestion and metabolism to take place. If you want to let him do whatever comes naturally, allowing for the temperature decline, you'll need to adjust your feeding regime accordingly, still offering fresh water at all times, but not food. You can gradually increase the temperatures with the season or increase them and keep them stable enough for him to stay awake and continue life without brumation.

Ultimately, he'll do what he thinks is right, so don't be surprised if you increase temps and he still wants to sleep. As long as he is a healthy weight and you have no health issues, there shouldn't be a problem. He also will not be in danger of freezing in an enclosed area with a bulb- if you are worried the bulb may blow, try using two bulbs at a lower wattage, that way if one goes, you will still have another as backup, even if at a lower temp than usual. I would say your room itself is also way above freezing, unless you are very odd! So unless you are in danger of freezing to death, neither is your bluey.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Shortie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 am

He's out and about today, he's about to shed. So I guess we'll see what he decides to do :) The temps in my room will drop to 3 degrees C next month! I am a bit odd, I feel the cold very easily which is why I'm worrying about my little guy! Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it :)
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Shortie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 am

Quick up date, looks like he slept for two days then got fed up with it! No brumation this year! But I might be speaking too soon, temps have dropped and snow is hitting the UK!

He's currently basking, eating his meals just fine and just being Slinky :) Still no hissing or biting from him! I don't know if I could get used to this! :P

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”