Your skinks favourite food mix?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Re: Your skinks favourite food mix?

Postby El Lobo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 am

I use butternut squash raw just grated.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Rani-May » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:54 am

thanks :D and scallop squash is fine raw right? im pretty sure that was on the care sheet. thats pretty much all they sell fresh where i am
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby LarissaLurid » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:50 am

CricketForestwater wrote:I recently got Ainsley some yellow squash I plan to give to him soon. Is it ok raw or would you guys suggest it be cooked/baked?

its fine raw :]
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
Vegasarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vegasarah » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Rocket goes CRAZY for dubia roaches. He just loves them a bit too much...
I was feeding mealworms to him by hand a lot, but then he made the association that my hand in his tank = food. He's not aggressive in the the least, he just really likes his food. So I stopped hand-feeding him and making a loud whistle if he tried to nip at my fingers for food. He got the message very quickly and left my hands alone!
I then got a good dubia colony going, so I switched to that and no longer feed meal worms. Obviously I did not want to hand-feed those (gross) so I used my feeding tongs. Well, then after about two days he figured out tongs = roaches. So now any time he SEES those tongs he will just bite them and race around the tank like a crazy lizard! It's kind of cool that he is 'sight trained' to the tongs, because now when people come over I can show them his 'trick' lol.
But I usually feed about 5 sub adult roaches to get his appetite going, then I put in my 'cube' of food. I take dog food and mix it with tons of greens and some veggies. It all goes in the food proccessor to get chopped up, then I pack it into my ice tray and freeze. Once they are frozen, I pop them out of the tray and put them in a baggie and store that in my freezer. To de-thaw I put one cube in his dish into the microwave for 25 seconds and he seems to like that a lot. I like it because it's so easy to feed and it is 70% greens and 20% veggies and 10% dog food. That plus the roaches is pretty good stuff.
justyna.ewa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby justyna.ewa » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:30 pm

I feel compelled to let you know that microwaves kill about 70% of the nutritional value of food (I read that in an article my mom sent me -.-"), just so you know.
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Rani-May » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:54 am

nice, so many people have said how much blueys love roaches but i find it hard finding anywhere that sells things like that and ships to Tasmania :( however i tend to trick my skink into eating veggies now XD I get whatever veggies I want him to eat, swish it around with a bit of dry dog kibble, then remove the veggies so that they only smell of the kibble and he eats the veggies up pretty quick smart.
justyna.ewa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby justyna.ewa » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:24 am

That is so clever XD I tend to mix pair every bit of veggie with a tiny piece of fruit, so he eats them all up :)
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Rani-May » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:32 am

yep I usually do that too, but wanted to get more greens into him the fussy thing. you have to trick the lil so n so's sometimes dont you lol love em
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:04 pm

apart from banana and other sweet stuff, and cooking christmas ham (which he wont get due to high salt content).....

he really likes cucumber. :doh:

first on my list is to find squash in sweden so that he might become a good veggie eater....easier said than done.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Rani-May » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:45 pm

yes im yet to see if my baby blue likes squash, im hoping so considering he doesnt like any of his veggies. We only have scaollop squash, and here we call the butternut squash a pumpkin, so i have to try that too. Does yours enjoy any other veggies?
financier
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby financier » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:48 pm

my baby is a pig,,,he eats it all. i make a mix of butternut squash, arrugla, basil, swiss chard, and cooked turkey. and hide alittle bit of raspberry in it. Chomps it all down.
Sometimes I add alittle premium cat food.
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Rani-May » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:34 pm

a piggy bluey is good, can hide the yuckies inside the yummy food! haha. My little piggy was just weighed and put on 12grams in the last 2 weeks, so mine is a pig too!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”