Bluey Not Pooping

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Dolphyngal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Bluey Not Pooping

Postby Dolphyngal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:44 pm

My bluey hasn't pooped (to put it bluntly) in over three weeks. She seems fine, no off behavior or lethargy. She doesn't feel hard anywhere in her body. She's a very picky eater (I feed her Halo cat food alternated with raw ground turkey, both with a calcium-vitamin supplement). She will occasionally eat a raspberry or two. I feed her about every 5 to 7 days. From pictures I've seen of other blueys she's normal size. The only thing I did differently was a couple weeks ago I fed her about 8 super worms which I'd never done before. I've had her just over 5 months. She's 4+ years old. Any suggestions? Is there something I can try to give her that's fiberous (and safe) to get her "moving"? I'm starting to get worried and wondering if I should take ger to a reptile vet.
Proud mama to:
~ Northern Bluey "Speed Racer" (a.k.a. "Speed")
~ Leopard Gecko "Athena"
~ Leopard Gecko "Maya"
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Re: Bluey Not Pooping

Postby Bird_Brain » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Its typically safe to say if its going in, its gonna come out. Typically if there is a blockage, their appetite will decrease. More than likely she is just hiding the poop from you. Typically a luke warm bath, feeding banana, or feeding egg will cause them to go.

Also, it is never a bad idea to take an animal to a vet if you feel there is a need to. Its always better to be safe than sorry. You know your skink and its behaviors much better than anyone on this forum. If something seems "off", then I would consider a vet visit. Me personally, would not be worried if I dont see it poop as long as it has normal appetite and behaving normally otherwise.

Im also going to move this to the general discussion forum.
Brad
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 am

RK said most stuff already in a better way i could possibly write.

it is recommended to switch from cat food to dog food due to the added taurine in catfood.
all skinks are picky eaters (with few exceptions) - the thing is that a healthy adult skink can go for weeks without food, so if you wish to learn your skink to eat something just change and wait. just chop up veggies if you try to add them to the food, or egg or banana if youre gonna try that method RK mentioned ;D

many here feed their skinks veggies with the dog food, but some have no problems without it too. its your pick. theres a food chart if you click the links on the caresheet~
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist

Postby Coomassie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Stealth. Poo. Clean all of her substrate out...you will find the poo.
Cay T.
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Rani-May » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:23 pm

If you are really worried about it, try soaking ur skink in luke warm water in a container big enough to fit her in (not deep enough to cover her obviously) but DO NOT leave her alone. you dont want her tiring and drowning :(
- this worked when I was paranoid about one of my baby blueys not pooping, but she probably is still pooping anyway if she is still eating :)
Dolphyngal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dolphyngal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice (and laughs - love the stealth poop comment). I tried the warm bath - nothing. I gave her egg and banana, and to my surprise she loved it, chowded it down. It took three more days and she FINALLY went. Although, it did seem to be quite thick, not soft like her usual. Should I continue with the egg and banana until she's "back to normal"? I assume from this point forward I need to fight back with the same level of stubbornness as she has shown me and insist on her eating more veggies and fruit for the fibrous content. Unless anyone has other suggestions or recommend certain fruits or veggies more suitable to her constipated condition. I can't believe I'm writing in such detail about lizard poop. A first for me! :shock: :?
Proud mama to:
~ Northern Bluey "Speed Racer" (a.k.a. "Speed")
~ Leopard Gecko "Athena"
~ Leopard Gecko "Maya"
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Rani-May » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:51 pm

You must feel a bit better now you have at least seen it happen :) im not a hundred percent sure, but another member on this site let me know that banana is a fruit that would actually block calcium absorption if they eat too much of it. just thought i should pass along the info someone else gave to me :)
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby LarissaLurid » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:37 pm

I wouldn't continua the banana feeding, if she went there's nothing to worry about. As Rani mentioned it can block calcium absorption. Just make sure she has a healthy balanced diet so she won't have more problems.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”