Ear-Plug Problem and Shedding Advice Needed

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Ear-Plug Problem and Shedding Advice Needed

Postby AnnaMonroe » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:09 am

Am I the only one who's heard of :

http://www.petco.com/product/12513/Zoo- ... image_link

?

Is it worth the try to help blueys shed?
Or do you guys think it's a load of garbage? lol
the reviews don't seem bad at all;
Last edited by AnnaMonroe on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
April_Snow
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby April_Snow » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:01 pm

I know what that's like!

That's how my bluey broke my finger biting me. I was trying to get his ear bag out. Maybe I should try the tweezer approach. His fingers and toes also still have tubes on them. I don't really know what to do other then bathing him. Not sure how he'll react to that though.

April
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:34 am

:hair:

:urgent:

DO NOT USE TWEEZERS!

I thought I said that before ...

If you REALLY think its necessary, go to your vet and ask for assistance. Two hands are better than one and your vet's professional experience will help prevent potential mishaps with long, dangerous metal instruments.

Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:28 am

April_Snow wrote:That's how my bluey broke my finger biting me. I was trying to get his ear bag out. Maybe I should try the tweezer approach.

facepalm.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
April_Snow
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby April_Snow » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 am

I didn't do it! I don't have medical forceps any more. Besides, he'd just bite me again. I was half asleep when I wrote that. I am not going to go after him with tweezers.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:06 pm

with toes,feet,ect,use a damp cloth to moisten retained shed,it softens it,then gently rub it away,yes they hate it,its more the being restrained,especialy messing with there feet,but once done,they are fine

retained shed can be common,remember,indoors we keep them dryer than what they get outdoors,some shed fine,some may need assistance,try not to stress,perhaps try adding things to cage that may help in the future,doing nothing will probably just have more issues down the track
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby AnnaMonroe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Has anyone ever tried the Zoo Med Repti Shedding Aid spray?

Posted the link on top, don't think anyone saw it lol..
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:34 pm

I have kept dozens of skinks of multiple species, and I have never used any kind of "shed aid". If kept in the proper conditions, very few skinks will have shed issues. I have had a couple retain ear plugs over the years, but they have always been easily removed with index finger and thumb. I have never needed to use tweezers or anything else.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby AnnaMonroe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Well if you have a good disposable income for your bluey, I don't think it would hurt to have that spray around just in case haha(:
I purchased a lot of "just in case" accessories and what not, even things for like reptile cuts and scrapes. I like to be prepared in any emergency! ;D
flutter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby flutter » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 pm

My skink hasn't shed yet but I have bearded dragons (along with the rest of the reptile rabble) and they can be a nightmare in shed, they HATE shedding, my girl doesn't even like being touched when she's shedding its that bad. Just don't 'help' them shed as such. By that I mean, don't pull the skin off for them. The reason it hasn't come off yet is because its not ready, its like if a person pulled sunburnt skin off too soon. The scales underneath aren't ready yet, so it can cause real damage. Regular baths is really the most you can do, make sure the water is warm, (what I call baby bath water temperature), as a test I stick my elbow in it, and if it's the right temperature I can't feel anything at all, no hot and no cold. I bath daily during shed, at most twice a day but that's pushing it, you could do it more, but for animals who don't like baths it can be more stressful having the baths than shedding. The most help you can really give is on toes/fingers and tail tips, by just rubbing them with a cotton bud in the bath. I've once popped out an ear plug, but with hands, not tweezers, that can cause a lot worse damage, if it doesn't come right out with a gentle thumb and index finger, like others have said you need a vet. Other than toes/fingers and tail tips, if it isn't coming off it probably isn't meant to come off yet.

I'm currently going through massive sheds with both my beardies, so I know what this hell is like, but as much as you want to 'help' it does more harm and stress than good. Just daily baths and gentle with a cotton bud on toes/fingers and tail ends if needed (my beardies have never needed cotton buds) is all you really should be doing. Sheds aren't bad for lizards, they're just uncomfortable, so just don't worry :D
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 am

flutter wrote:I bath daily during shed, at most twice a day but that's pushing it

:lol: you must be lovely and clean!

Sorry, couldn't help it! Your advice is very helpful. It's good hearing from new members who have experienced some of the little trials faced with owning a lizard. Thank you.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
flutter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby flutter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:12 am

LeaBilby wrote:
:lol: you must be lovely and clean!

lol, I wish I was lovely and clean, the weather here is mental atm, either way too warm or bangs it down with rain, so it makes smelling nice impossible- it's either BO or damp :dead:

My beardies aren't clean either, they love to run through their own poop or sit on plates you've left on the floor til you next get up! It's baths galore here seen as they're in shed and going through a phase of poop running. I'd just bathed them the other day, then poop happened :roll:

My skink has a little mud on him/her from the previous owner still, it hasn't come off so a quick bath today, now that he's use to me. Then we'll have one nice smelling household member at least.

And no worries about the advice, it's what we're all here for. I'm interested in my skink's 1st shed and how it compares with my other lizards.
kphil
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kphil » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:23 am

Sometimes, as with my skink, the ear plugs do not come out on their own and must be removed. I just pulled plugs out of each ear. My skink is 15 years old and is not removing her shed as she did in her younger years. I soak her at least weekly and help remove the shed, including ear plugs. This is after a $600 vet bill when she quit eating because of stuck shed.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”