End of toe loss in shedding?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
iLoveMyLizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

End of toe loss in shedding?

Postby iLoveMyLizard » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:38 am

Ok, i introduced myself here yesterday and this is the first time i have owned a reptile, and thus being a blue tongue skink. He started shedding on saturday and and it seemed to be going pretty well, he was flaking off all over and rubbing himself against things to aid his shed, and today i took him out to see the progress of his toes and tail. He had alot of loose shed on his body that still hadnt came off, and i put him in the bath to soak him to let it just come off. I proceeded to checking his toes, and i was concerned that there was quite a bit of shed that hadnt began to peel away, but i gently rubbed them and the majority of it came off. However, when i went to look at his reer feet, i noticed that one of his toes looked uncomfortable sideways, (ie asif his nail hadnt been clipped) but upon inspection, the actual end of his toe was hanging off. I gently removed it and it didnt seem to hurt him at all, but as i inspected his other toes he began flinching, so i left it at that for the time being as he was out for quite a short while.

Ive attached a few photos and would appreciate some feedback. Ive read the caresheet over and understand that their toes are very fragile, however i dont understand how this happened, as i followed the instructions carefully, being that of"After several days however, it is important that no shedding is left on the toes or tip of the tail. This can result in toe constriction, loss of toenails, or even toe loss."

If anybody could please enlighten me of what i could have potentially done wrong, and or point me in the direction of what should be done next, and how to prevent this from happening in future, then please feel free to express your views.

Thanks alot,

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Re: End of toe loss in shedding?

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:21 am

That's very strange. The toe and the others on that foot look very healthy. When constricted they tend to swell and turn ugly colors before coming off. What subrate is he on? Any chance of injury to the foot?
iLoveMyLizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby iLoveMyLizard » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 am

Hes on coarse beech chips, and to my knowledge, he should have no injury. The toe was looking fine the other day, and it didnt seem to hurt him when it cam off, just when i fiddles with his feet a bit he kicked, but this was after it came off. Im looking to get some betadine but cant source any to clean the wound, have you heard of tamodine and is it any goood?
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Because you just got him, I don't think this is anything you did wrong. Toes are very delicate and can be injured and fall off, but it doesn't happen overnight - so don't blame yourself, it was probably this way when you got him. He will probably heal just fine on his own, I haven't heard of tamodine but if you can get betadine or even polysporin it wouldn't hurt to apply some.

I wouldn't worry too much - this does happen and it really shouldn't have been anything you did. Just watch and make sure the toes shed well for the next couple sheds, it probably was injured before you got him and all will be fine after this. :D
iLoveMyLizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby iLoveMyLizard » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:14 am

Katrina wrote:Because you just got him, I don't think this is anything you did wrong. Toes are very delicate and can be injured and fall off, but it doesn't happen overnight - so don't blame yourself, it was probably this way when you got him. He will probably heal just fine on his own, I haven't heard of tamodine but if you can get betadine or even polysporin it wouldn't hurt to apply some.

I wouldn't worry too much - this does happen and it really shouldn't have been anything you did. Just watch and make sure the toes shed well for the next couple sheds, it probably was injured before you got him and all will be fine after this. :D

Thanks katrina, much appreciated. If for instance the toes do become constricted, for future reference, how would i go about releiving tight shed or just generally removing shed which hasnt came off. I rubbed them gently yesterday and that seemed to work for the most part, but is there anything else i should be aware off?

Many thanks

Joe
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:44 am

I usually just check over quickly after a shed to make sure none is left. If there is any around the toes after a couple days, you can apply olive oil or give them a soak in shallow, lukewarm water for 15-20 mins to help loosen it and rub gently. Olive oil or emu oil works well. If it is a persistent problem that happens most sheds, then look into giving them a humid hide or switching to a substrate that holds a bit more moisture... but don't worry too much, you will likely be just fine with rubbing a little olive oil in once every few sheds or giving a soak on occasion. :D
iLoveMyLizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby iLoveMyLizard » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:00 am

Thanks for the advice, i would have never of thought to use olive oil! I think im going to switch to a hemp substrate made by lucky reptile. Hes on beech chips at the moment and ive seen him swallow the odd chip or two so i dont want to risk any impaction, and i prefer hemp products anyway as its more environmentally friendly etc. Its supposed to swell up to 5x its volume also so it should be good for him to burrow in as he LOVES his burrowing, and should be better for his shedding too.

Once again, thanks for your help :)
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
iLoveMyLizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby iLoveMyLizard » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 am

Had him out today and looked at his toes etc to see how they were doing. One of the toes next to the one that fell off looks really limp, i.e can move it sid to side without him kicking and he doesnt strain it. Does this indicate anything?

There is a few little bits of shed left around them, and im cleaning his enclousure this afternoon (disinfecting, renewing substrate etc.) Do you think i should apply some olive oil? he had a soak the day his other toe fell off, which i think was monday. He seems happy however, and hes gaining my trust alot more (probably because ive gave him some morio worms worms today, he loved them lol) but i just want the best for him, and his health.
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
iLoveMyLizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby iLoveMyLizard » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Just an update, applied some olive oil and some of the shed loosened up nicely and fell off the next day. Gave him a little soak today because he was unusually smelly, and when doing a spot clean his poop was unusually, worn into the substrate so i suspect him might have tracked over it. Ill get some photos up tomorrow and see what you guys think.
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby NennaMeerkat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Poor guy! At least the toe that came off looks clean and the foot not infected. Still, poor thing. As others have said it probably isn't anything that is your fault. If it was something that happened while in your care I would think you would have noticed swelling, irritation, and such. I hope the other toe stays on his foot too! I would LOVE to see some full body shots of your new guy, missing toe(s) and all!

BTW I know how it feels to have a skink without a toe. The BTS I rescued came to me with several toes missing (or just nails with some). Thankfully he hasn't lost anymore but you still gotta feel a little sorry for them lost toes. You will see though that it won't slow him down, even if another is lost. Toes or not they can still climb, run, scoot, burrow, and everything else :)
Sammy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sammy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Hows this dude going????

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”