Superworms and BTS boaring into throat

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
pipsqueaks_beardies
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Superworms and BTS boaring into throat

Postby pipsqueaks_beardies » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:55 pm

I fed my Blue tongue skink like I always do but one of the super worms lodged itself in his throat and started boaring up on the room of his mouth. He was desperately trying to get him out, as was I and I finally took my tongues and carefully pulled the superworm out. The superworm was all bloody and looked terrible. My blut tongue is just shy of a year and a half. He has never had serious problems eating supers. I just am curious on how I can get his mouth open easily without hurting him so I can look at it to see how far the superworm got? Do I need to take him to a vet or should I just watch him for the next couple days? I am concerned and will now forever ever ever be pinched the heads off the superworms. He usually gets two pinkys a week and superworms twice a week. I have never had this happen and it scared the life outta me. Enough to come post it on here with everyone seeing it. I am slightly embarrased but I am worried about him!
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Oh wow O.O So glad you got it out. I'll definitely crush the heads next time I feed superworms.

If you have someone else there you can see about just using gentle pressure to pry the mouth open to have a look inside. Other than that I really have no idea what else you could do other than take it to a vet?
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:20 pm

That's happened to me once. But usually they climb out off the skink's mouth covered in saliva which they drown in.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:14 pm

I've heard of worms eating their way out being an urban myth. I've seen worms crawl back up a bit and have to be reswallowed, and sometimes it does look like the bluey is struggling a bit to put a feeder down. But to be boring a hole in the top of the mouth? I'm skeptical, although I'd love to be proven wrong with pictures or some sort of proof.

If you are concerned about a cut on the top of the blueys mouth then a vet visit isn't a bad idea.

They aren't the best at killing feeders and generally seem to stuff them down live... but I've never seen a worm have much time before being swallowed, definitely not enough to cause any kind of harm to the bluey with their tiny mouths. And I have heard of this being an urban legend. :noknow:
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby 655321 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Wow...mine always seems to chomp on their heads first anyway so they're pretty much incapacitated from the beginning. I'm not really sure what to do either other than very gently try to open your blueys mouth and look at it. If you could get someone to help you, you could open its mouth and maybe have the other person try to take a picture. If the wound isn't too bad it should probably heal pretty fast. Most mouth wounds do, at least human ones anyway. I don't know much about bluey saliva...I would just be careful about feeding it from now on and watch out for infection. A vet visit is probably a good idea if the wound looks bad. Pictures would be very interesting...
0.0.1 T. s. intermedia
0.0.1 Lampropeltis alterna

Find my nature inspired jewelry and figurines for sale on Etsy here!
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:25 am

(dont forget to feed the veggies)

I feed superworms once every month with no problems O__O litchie always crush the head and body until it stops moving and then swallows.....but i guess just as we can swallow fish bones they can mess up too....

i'd say a vet visit is a nice idea if you think the wound was big D: maybe feed softer food for some time being until its healed? (soft dogfood mixed with squash or salad which has been mashed down a bit to small size)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:40 am

Are you sure he actually bored into the roof of the mouth? As shingles, and so Im presuming other species, do have gaps in the roof of their mouth

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KMSdjb0fvhA/S ... rugosa.JPG

The worm could very well as tried climbing up there, which I imagine would be rather uncomfortable! I dont know if they do bleed, but could the blood be from the worm?

Just throwing stuff out there~
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 am

(nae, superworms do not bleed :) they are aliens)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:03 pm

If there's a wound in the mouth I'd avoid mushy foods like dogfood. I'd stick with small pieces of solid meats/veggies.
ReillyC
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Superworms and BTS boaring into throat

Postby ReillyC » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:39 am

This totally just happened to me. At the back of the head it was boring up. But Ronnie managed to get it out after about 20 seconds of doing whatever he was doing lol. The head of the super worm came out bloody. He then preceded to eat like nothing happened.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Re: Superworms and BTS boaring into throat

Postby Scotts1au » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Please note that this tread is now locked due to it being really really old. Please don't revive old threads. Please start a new one if you would like to continue the discussion. :) :thumbs:
Thanks

Scott
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”