A new Tanimber, advice?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Owlstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

A new Tanimber, advice?

Postby Owlstar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:03 pm

I recently agreed to take in a seven year old Tanimbar. He was bought from this site awhile ago by a friend of mine, and they were moving so I offered to take him in. I was told it was aggressive beforehand and more of a display animal, but I was wondering if there was any chance for it to be a more handable animal?

I brought him in today, so he was very edgy and uncertain. Unhappily gaping at us, displaying his very blue tongue. I haven't attempted holding him yet, and I have a pair of gloves ready for when I do.

Any advice?
1 Silver Tanimbar Blue Tongue Skink
1 Indonesian Blue Tongue Skink
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Crested Gecko
1 Saharan Uromastyx
1 Jackson's Chameleon
1 Dogs
2 Rabbits
18 chickens
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:26 pm

This will probably be moved to the General Discussion Forum FYI. There are tons of threads there on taming new or defensive skinks. Do some reading there :)

The basics:
- Give a week or two to settle in. Preferably, don't bother it much until it's more active and curious.
- You want them to learn that you are not dangerous and that you bring awesome things like food and water and treats. Be around and offer interactions, but don't try to force it, at least not at first.
- They tend to be most defensive in their tank, thus the displays. Once he's settled, maybe take him out of tank and let him have a look around a safe area and see what his personality outside of tank is like. Chances are he'll be shy and very skittish, looking for places to hide and he may freak out at any movement or noise (my Tanimbars are usually very flighty). Try offering great treats and see if that gets any interest. Best case is he's curious and explorative, or at least calm and looking for a safe place to chill.
Owlstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Owlstar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 pm

Thank you for the tips, and I certainly will. Wasn't sure where to put at first, I'm a bit of a newbie on these forums. Lurking is different than actually posting. Thanks again!
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Crested Gecko
1 Saharan Uromastyx
1 Jackson's Chameleon
1 Dogs
2 Rabbits
18 chickens
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Fatal's advice is great, as always.

And don't worry - you will figure the forums out quickly (just keep posting! :wink: ).

Welcome!! :D
JR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby JR » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:00 pm

Fatal_S wrote:- They tend to be most defensive in their tank, thus the displays. Once he's settled, maybe take him out of tank and let him have a look around a safe area and see what his personality outside of tank is like. Chances are he'll be shy and very skittish, looking for places to hide and he may freak out at any movement or noise (my Tanimbars are usually very flighty). Try offering great treats and see if that gets any interest. Best case is he's curious and explorative, or at least calm and looking for a safe place to chill.

I agree 100%. My Tanimbar is really "cage-aggressive", but after I've picked him up from his enclosure, he's just chillin' and being nice ;)

He loves exploring.
• 1.0.1 Tiliqua scincoides chimaerea
Owlstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Owlstar » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:30 pm

I've held him twice and I've made a strategy with him. He honestly seems more terrified of me than anything else, the first time I just jumped in and he was startled. Me, not wanting to get bitten, placed my hand on the ground. He checked it out, just investigating and I edged my hand under him. He was fine after that. I did the same thing the second time but moved slower and he didn't mind at all. :3
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Crested Gecko
1 Saharan Uromastyx
1 Jackson's Chameleon
1 Dogs
2 Rabbits
18 chickens
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:37 pm

That sounds great! :D Glad you have figured it out. I'm sure things will only get better.
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby JoshChimera » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 am

You are doing well it sounds like. Keep at it. Offer some food as mentioned. Skinks think food when they see you open the cage enclosure.
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”