Feeding diary ?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
x.shell.x
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Feeding diary ?

Postby x.shell.x » Tue May 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Hey Im hoping to get my BTS this year and i was wondering if any of you guys keep a feeding diary you would be willing to share ?

I have done alot of reading but the thing about that is anyone could have done it and not have any experiance with BTSs

I link to be super prepared before bringing home any new pets so i would hope to beable to have something planned out for the first month or so that i can order each week with my own shop.

Right now i only have 3 leopard geckos but i keep diarys with how much they eat when they shed if it went ok any changes in behaviour. I know this may seem to be a little obsessive to some but thats just how i like to do things to reassure me that i would know sooner rather than later ( as often seems to be the case with reptiles) if something is off.

So yea if anyone keeps one and is willing to share it would be a great help for me starting my own in preperation for my little guy.

Thanks
Michelle

* would like to add that i have read the diet chart and so know the things they need to eat but am just curious what you guys feed yours from week to week.*
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Tue May 03, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm going to move this to the General Discussion Forum - it will get more views and more replies in there! :wink:
Lauriek
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Lauriek » Tue May 03, 2011 3:06 pm

I don't keep a feeding diary. I do try and vary their diets as much as possible however what I have noticed is that the shinglebacks like more fruit and vegies in their diet than the blotchies. They all LOVE snails. :D
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)

Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Tue May 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Have more time to reply now!

First off, welcome! :D

I also don't keep a feeding diary, but I can give you a couple examples of recent meals. Lots of people (especially those with lots of BTS) keep it extremely simple and just feed greens or mixed veggies mixed in with dog food. So it doesn't have to be difficult!

But, because there are so many different foods that they can eat, I like to offer lots of variety. I try to feed healthy foods that I have on hand because I eat anyways - so things like arugula, bok choy, squashes, green beans etc. get added in depending on what I have. For the greens / veggies part I try to feed mostly the healthiest greens but add in whatever else I both to chop up or have on hand for variety.

Same for the protein part - if we are eating chicken, I'll save a bit of cooked, unseasoned chicken breast for the blueys. Feeder insects are great, canned dog food is super easy to have on hand and an excellent staple meat.

I think the last meal I fed was about 50% canned dog food, 50% mix of arugula, endive, snap peas, baby bok choy and white mushrooms. We eat a lot of salads, so I pick out arugula and endive from spring mix greens and the peas, mushrooms and boy choy I had in the fridge. Much less waste if I'm not buying foods just for the blueys. :D

Good luck! If you do a search, there will be some similar threads you can read through to get more info. Definitely post pictures once you get your BTS!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”