Shingleback housing and care

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Shingleback housing and care

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:41 pm

Ok, we all know (or should understand) that keeping two blueys together in the same vivarium is a no-no barring large outdoor pits, etc.

However, I have seen more and more Shingle breeders/keepers that appear to have the animals in the same enclosure...is this more accepted by Shingles due to their "monogamy" (i.e. having one male and one female together) or should this be avoided as well, as it is for the rest of their kin? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to that for the health/breeding of the animals? I would assume, as with the rest, alone is better...but just looking for any other input from Shingle-lovers (and pros) world-wide! :)
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:42 pm

P.S. Mailed my check, still waiting for it to be received and my Bible mailed so I don't ask so many questions! ;)
2.0.0 - T.R.Rugosa
2.1.0 - T.R.Aspera
1.0.0 - T.Nigrolutea (Alpine)
0.0.11 - E.Stokesii
0.0.4 - O.Cataphractus
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=wi ... ng.lizards
shingleback aus
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby shingleback aus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:03 pm

eddy and lilly are in the same encloser and i have not enconterd any problems they do everything together and dont seem to mind at all. except somtimes lilly anoys eddy by standing on him or laying on him :D :lol: .
true blue ;)
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:06 pm

shingleback aus wrote:eddy and lilly are in the same encloser and i have not enconterd any problems they do everything together and dont seem to mind at all. except somtimes lilly anoys eddy by standing on him or laying on him :D :lol: .

NICE! That is what I tend to see with Stumpies...seems they are a whole lot more "understanding" of each other...

I have read that they just "ignore" each other unless it is mating season...from your statements it seems more like they are buddies! ;)

That would be so cool to watch...Shingle interaction... :D
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:06 pm

By the way, do you have any pics of Lilly "annoying" Eddy? I would love to see that! :D
2.0.0 - T.R.Rugosa
2.1.0 - T.R.Aspera
0.0.11 - E.Stokesii
0.0.4 - O.Cataphractus
Celeste
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Celeste » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Yes, supposedly some breeders keep large groups in large enclosures without too much fighting (that's how Pether had his in the Canary Islands). But the key there is for them to have plenty of space.

I have one pair that is still housed together because that was the way they were kept by their former owner, and I didn't want to stress them out too much by separating them. Yet. And they generally spend a fair amount of time sleeping together. But my other pair is apart, and I will introduce them around March.

In captivity, indoors, in these modest size enclosures, I wouldn't house two males together...

-- C
shingleback aus
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby shingleback aus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:16 pm

haahaha no but i took some pics of lilly today she had a roam around the house shinglebacks have a nature about them that i have not seen in other reptiles eddy and lilly run around the house unsupervised and dont escape and lilly follows me around the house they also snuggle next to the heater in winter when im watching tv and when you go near there tank you have to pick them up or they get annoyed there very affectionate :D
true blue ;)
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:29 pm

shingleback aus wrote:haahaha no but i took some pics of lilly today she had a roam around the house shinglebacks have a nature about them that i have not seen in other reptiles eddy and lilly run around the house unsupervised and dont escape and lilly follows me around the house they also snuggle next to the heater in winter when im watching tv and when you go near there tank you have to pick them up or they get annoyed there very affectionate :D

AHHH!!! You are driving me crazy! I need a stumpy! :) That is a cool description of their actions...can't wait to have some stumpies following me around the house as well! ;)

That's great that they get "annoyed" if they aren't picked up! :D
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Celeste wrote:Yes, supposedly some breeders keep large groups in large enclosures without too much fighting (that's how Pether had his in the Canary Islands). But the key there is for them to have plenty of space.

I have one pair that is still housed together because that was the way they were kept by their former owner, and I didn't want to stress them out too much by separating them. Yet. And they generally spend a fair amount of time sleeping together. But my other pair is apart, and I will introduce them around March.

In captivity, indoors, in these modest size enclosures, I wouldn't house two males together...

-- C

Ok, so it is not nearly as bad of a practice to keep them together, but still not "recommended"... That's pretty cool that they sleep together...wonder if that is by choice? Maybe they just both like to sleep in that area? Do they sleep in the same spot all the time when they sleep together?
shingleback aus
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby shingleback aus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:39 pm

yer they sure are characters there also the only bluey not to hiss at me there are also very tolarent of other reptiles lilly always is basking with the easterns even goes to my dog although my dog dosnt feel the same way so i have to keep her away from him or somtimes she goes on my turtles shell and the turtle runs and it looks like shes riding it , its so funny :lol:
true blue ;)
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:46 pm

:rofl: HAHAHAHA! That is AWESOME! I wanna see Lilly Riding a turtle! :D

Wow, making me want a Shingle even more! Sounds like Lilly is a bit of a clown! ;) Might be time for "Adventures of Lilly: Part 1" the movie short! :D
shingleback aus
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby shingleback aus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:53 pm

Lilly is a bit of a clown look at the face she pulled at me today :lol: Image
true blue ;)
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:55 pm

:D No one could turn her down, she would definitely get a treat from me! ;)

She's a beauty, love all the white on her and the speckled throat.

Looks like a kinda smug look she's giving you... :)
2.0.0 - T.R.Rugosa
2.1.0 - T.R.Aspera
0.0.11 - E.Stokesii
0.0.4 - O.Cataphractus
shingleback aus
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby shingleback aus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:58 pm

no this is the cute give me a treat face :lol: Image
true blue ;)
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:01 pm

:ohyes: Loving it! Yes, I definitely see what you're talking about! I love the way that Shingles "sit" in people's hands, they look kinda awkward and yet very calm...
Lisa
Blue Mountains Beauty
Blue Mountains Beauty

Postby Lisa » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:02 pm

jasjmm27 wrote::rofl: HAHAHAHA! That is AWESOME! I wanna see Lilly Riding a turtle! :D

Wow, making me want a Shingle even more! Sounds like Lilly is a bit of a clown! ;) Might be time for "Adventures of Lilly: Part 1" the movie short! :D

I've got a video of Santos riding Ralphie. If you search youtube for videos under the username lizidvids it should be there somewhere.

I think shingles by nature are a little more docile and laid back than bluetongues, but I'd stop short of saying they are a pack animal that needs the companionship of others of its kind. Plus males (like males of most species) can be aggresive particularly at mating time, and I've read that shingles en masse can be a handful at dinnertime.

And I think, as you mention, that since shinglebacks aren't as prolific at breeding as bluetongues are, that having a few together can mean a more successful breeding season than just a single pairing.

I think like most animals, it probably comes down more to the temperament of the individual animal. If I had another one, I'd probably have a go at housing it together with Santos (based on his personality and dependent of its)
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:06 pm

So, does anyone know of the interaction differences between the Rugosa sub-species? I mean, would R.Rugosa have different interaction in a terrarium with a mate then a R.Palarra, etc.?

Can you house all types of Shingles together safely in a "large enough" enclosure...meaning something inside, but considered "large enough" to house them both?

Are some sub-species more agressive towards each other then other subs?
2.0.0 - T.R.Rugosa
2.1.0 - T.R.Aspera
0.0.11 - E.Stokesii
0.0.4 - O.Cataphractus
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks Lisa, I will go check out your video... :D Can't wait for that!

I also figured as much in terms of it depending on the individual animals in question and their particular nature and circumstances. Many things like that change by individuals...it seems, however that "generally" shingles are more accepting of "roommates"...would you agree with that?

I do think that Santos would like a buddy! :)
2.0.0 - T.R.Rugosa
2.1.0 - T.R.Aspera
0.0.11 - E.Stokesii
0.0.4 - O.Cataphractus
Blotch
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: Shingleback housing and care

Postby Blotch » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:16 pm

jasjmm27 wrote:Ok, we all know (or should understand) that keeping two blueys together in the same vivarium is a no-no barring large outdoor pits, etc.

Who says? I have 2x 4 ft vivs, both with 3 blueys in them. Lots of people keep more than one bluey in a tank and have no problems. This is something that is (in my eyes) mainly an american Thing. I've seen Indoor enclosures from people in Europe that keep more than 1 or 2 blueys in an enclosure, as I said, i do it, Shingleback Au has 2 in the one tank, Breeders I know do it, and all with no problems.

Granted some blueys will fight, but if you put 2 people in a room together, they may fight too. I understand why zach and this website advise it, but it's by no means a "no no", maybe to Newbies with no experience, but not to experienced keepers that know what to look for in the personality of the bluey.

Oh and if memory serves me correctly, Danny hendry (an old timer on this site) housed 3 shingles together in a 3 ft tank and never have a problem. The tank was 3ft X 3ft - a nice square.
~|=|>-

"you want what!? where!?"

2.1.0 T.S. Intermedia (Kimberleys)
1.0 T.S. Intermedia (N.T.)
6.0.3 T. Nigrolutea (VIC Lowlands)
3.1.11 T. Scincoides (VIC & NSW)
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:23 pm

Ok ok, I know that many can keep animals together with no problems...would you like me to edit that to say:

"Ok, we all know (or should understand) that, FOR MOST OF US,keeping two blueys together in the same vivarium is a not advisable barring large outdoor pits, etc."

I can change that for you in the original if you would like? :)
2.0.0 - T.R.Rugosa
2.1.0 - T.R.Aspera
0.0.11 - E.Stokesii
0.0.4 - O.Cataphractus

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”