Help identifying a BTS?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
LariLobstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help identifying a BTS?

Postby LariLobstar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and have had my BTS for about 3 months now, she roughly 3 years old and I was sold her under the impression that she's a Northern - but I'm not so sure? I'm wanting to make sure she definitely has the correct care for her species and haven't had much luck on google - any input would be appreciated :D Photos - sorry they're not great, just the best I currently have: https://imgur.com/a/WOnOkWw
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Help identifying a BTS?

Postby Y33T » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:00 am

Looks like an eastern to me. They often get mislabeled as Northerns since they look pretty identical.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
LariLobstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LariLobstar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 pm

I think you may be right - here's some more images just to be certain https://imgur.com/a/Q0mOa5N
Are there any major care differences between the eastern and the northern?
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Yes, definitely an eastern! As far as I know, we only have easterns in NZ. She's got the black eyebands behind her eyes, something I don't think northerns usually have.

Photos of my eastern for comparison (They're practically twins, if you ask me!) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LariLobstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LariLobstar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:44 pm

Awesome thank you!

Any tips on eastern care? Is it different to northern?
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm not too familiar with the care of northerns, so i'm not sure what the differences would be. I'd imagine that they're fairly similar. I heard somewhere that easterns tolerate cold better than northerns do. They'll eat the exact same stuff. I've found my skink like his basking spot around 35 degrees, and I've heard a lot of varying opinions on the exact temp for easterns. Most of New Zealand is humid, so I've never had a problem with shedding or spraying to increase humidity. Nonetheless, I always give him a warm bath during his shedding, just to relax him and hopefully to help get skin off. Not sure if it actually helps, as we've never had any issues. If you're in the south island (or have a cold house), I'd strongly recommend getting a heat mat or ceramic heat emitter for night time. I've got a heat mat to help ward off the cold, as our house gets very cold at night time. Depending on how shedding goes for you, you might want to set up a humid hide.
Do you have a good supply of feeder insects? (Controversial opinion incoming) I feed a mix of dog food, turkey mince, fresh veges and insects, but i find it pretty hard to get insects this time of year. I've started a mealworm colony to help off-set the costs a little bit. Not everyone likes to feed dog food/cat food, but in my opinion there are plenty of premium brands out there that won't harm a skink and make a good protein source.

I hope this info is helpful! :D
LariLobstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LariLobstar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:30 am

Thank you for the info! It's pretty humid where I am, have actually been looking for ways of getting humidity down - any substrate suggestions or ideas on lowering humidity? I currently have her on Kritter's Crumble but think it may be too humid. She currently has a ceramic heat bulb but tends to bury herself in the cooler end regardless.
Only have access to live mealworms, as for crickets I've only been able to get freeze dried. I've been giving her a mix of high quality dog/cat food (depending on what I have access to and varying in quantity due to protein percentage) along with fresh veges, the occasional blueberries/mango/banana, and the aforementioned insects. Have been considering getting Repashy's Bluey Buffet for the occasional boost? Thoughts on Repashy's?

I'm still quite new to this and any information is appreciated, thanks again :D
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:52 am

I use critter crumble and repti bark mix for my easterns. No issues or shedding problems, all good.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:05 am

Never used Repashy's, but i have used Vetafarm 'lizard food'. My boy goes crazy for it, but i limit the amount he gets because he tends to have trouble going to the loo if he eats too much dry food. I use spaghnum moss and critters crumble as a substrate in his digging area, but i'd imagine that'd only increase humidity, not decrease it. Not too sure what to do there, other than maybe limit the amount of substrate to half the vivarium and set up a barrier of sorts to keep it contained.
LariLobstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LariLobstar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:16 am

Not sure if my previous post uploaded but it basically said that I definitely need to get that humidity down, upper noth island gets pretty humid and my home isn't particularly dry. Any thoughts on maybe an aspen and coconut mix? Just for hopes of absorbing all that excess moisture.

As an NZ specific question, any ideas on the best online sellers for reptile products? Just as I have limited access to in-store reptile supplies
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:17 am

LariLobstar wrote:Thank you for the info! It's pretty humid where I am, have actually been looking for ways of getting humidity down - any substrate suggestions or ideas on lowering humidity? I currently have her on Kritter's Crumble but think it may be too humid. She currently has a ceramic heat bulb but tends to bury herself in the cooler end regardless.
Only have access to live mealworms, as for crickets I've only been able to get freeze dried. I've been giving her a mix of high quality dog/cat food (depending on what I have access to and varying in quantity due to protein percentage) along with fresh veges, the occasional blueberries/mango/banana, and the aforementioned insects. Have been considering getting Repashy's Bluey Buffet for the occasional boost? Thoughts on Repashy's?

I'm still quite new to this and any information is appreciated, thanks again :D

You're not the first Kiwi who has said something similar about how scare live feeder insects are in NZ.

I suggested to a chap in NZ who had a hatchling bearded dragon to try Repashi GrubPie. He had a very successful outcome.

I think there are suppliers in NZ , that he has found since.
Here are some links :
https://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/ ... ptile-food
http://biosuppliers.nz/
…. appear still very pricey for live insects such as crickets (LARGE (13-20 mm) 25: $36.37 or 50: $$9.00 …. I'd buy 50 large crickets and set up my own cricket breeding colony.
https://www.inzectdirect.co.nz/categori ... =Shop&gp=3
LariLobstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LariLobstar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 am

Thank you! That's very helpful, live feeder insects are not particularly easy to access. I've never set up my own colony, any tips? Am thinking a cricket colony would be a good idea :D
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:33 am

LariLobstar wrote:Thank you! That's very helpful, live feeder insects are not particularly easy to access. I've never set up my own colony, any tips? Am thinking a cricket colony would be a good idea :D

I've not tried breeding crickets or woodies as I can get 1000 medium crickets for about $50 and that is enough to keep me going for 3 - 4 weeks for 2 adult eastern BTs , 1 adult eastern water skink, and one adult bearded dragon.
I also have BSFL , superworms , mealworms and I breed my own silkworms.
My 3 big lizards get some crickets & 3 medium silkworms or 2 large silkworms each day + greens.

I believe woodies are extremely easy to breed, crickets are a little harder to get right.
There are caresheets online that explain how to breed crickets successfully.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:37 am

i have 0 experience with crickets, but mealworms are super easy to keep. Just a set of stacking tub drawers, some bran and muesli, and vegetable scraps. Make sure you bake or microwave any bran or anything, because there's usually grain mites in it :( Mealworms are more of a treat for enrichment, because they're not the healthiest.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:48 am

LariLobstar wrote:Any thoughts on maybe an aspen and coconut mix?

As an NZ specific question, any ideas on the best online sellers for reptile products? Just as I have limited access to in-store reptile supplies

I think the coconut and aspen should work okay, but i've never tried it so i'd be hesitant to recommend.

I used trade me to get most of my set-up gear, like light fixtures and thermostats. Got it brand new, but far cheaper than in-store. If you're looking for heat-only basking globes then Mitre ten is great, can search them up online under 'E27 heat lamp'. They're commonly used in bathroom fan heaters, and are only a few dollars each.

A pretty decent store for reptile supplies is Bird Barn, they have probably the best range of things. I'm not too fond of their reptile care though, not enough space for the lizards last time i was there. Little bit of a crowding issue.

I buy my insects at Animates, and PetStock. The range isn't as great here in NZ as it is in other countries, simply because there's only a very small interest in reptile keeping and not many species available.
LariLobstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LariLobstar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:06 am

I believe woodies are extremely easy to breed, crickets are a little harder to get right.

Not sure what woodies are? Not sure if we have them here, have only really heard about mealworms and crickets, plus occasional larvae on some sites.
Will definitely look into care sheets for crickets as it'll be more economical for me.
Thanks for your help! :D
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:09 am

LariLobstar wrote:

Not sure what woodies are? Not sure if we have them here, have only really heard about mealworms and crickets, plus occasional larvae on some sites.
Will definitely look into care sheets for crickets as it'll be more economical for me.
Thanks for your help! :D

http://www.livefoods.com.au/live-insect ... ockroaches

Have you considered asking LIVEFOODS UNLIMITED to ship live insects to NZ ?
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:12 am

i think importing insects and animals is illegal? I thought only zoos could do it
LariLobstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LariLobstar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:15 am

kingofnobbys wrote:http://www.livefoods.com.au/live-insect ... ockroaches

Have you considered asking LIVEFOODS UNLIMITED to ship live insects to NZ ?

I'd have to look into the NZ regulations when it comes to shipping live insects etc as from what I understand they are pretty strict when it comes to any kind of live animal or insect. But haven't researched enough as of yet to be sure.
Thanks for the suggestion though, definitely worth considering
LariLobstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LariLobstar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:16 am

Yeshika wrote:i think importing insects and animals is illegal? I thought only zoos could do it

I think you're right, especially with all the conservation rules regarding our wildlife

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”