DIY Cages

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Ictok16
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

DIY Cages

Postby Ictok16 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:56 pm

Hello everyone, future BTS owner here, just working on getting a set up first. I have been looking for the right cage/terrarium/enclosure. I stumbled upon this https://www.diycages.com/ site and was looking at the HC4 JUMBO. Its a 4ft long, 2ft wide, and 2 ft tall enclosure with screen sides. Just wondering if anyone has any experience using one of these. I have tried searching on here and other forums, but due to the name of the company, most searches just come back with individual DIY projects. Thanks for your time, and if you have any pictures of your HC4, I would be most appreciative.
Happyherper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: DIY Cages

Postby Happyherper » Mon May 21, 2018 12:50 pm

I would just say be careful. very careful. I had my skink in a used exo terra cage, about 4 years ago, and he ripped the lid off and was lost in our house for 6 months! if they can escape they will.
Angcious
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angcious » Tue May 22, 2018 2:52 am

I actually found out about diycages here from someone's recommendations, bought 2 a couple months ago. I'm very happy with them, the price was great, they were very easy to put together.
I got the critter condos in 4x2x2. I'm not so sure the screen cage would be a good idea either way but definitely wouldn't work out of you wind up getting an Indonesian area bts who needs higher humidity contained in the cage.
This is what mine look like, the 2 on the bottom
https://ibb.co/nphyGT
Ictok16
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Ictok16 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks for the picture and information. I am going to my local reptile shop on Friday to check out some of their selection, see if they have a nice set up, otherwise I might end up ordering one of those. If it matters or if you have more suggestions I plan on getting a northern BTS. I know they require less humidity, like 30-50% so I don't imagine I should have any issue with the enclosure.
Angcious
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angcious » Tue May 22, 2018 7:09 pm

I could not ask for better personalities in my 2 bts, they're wonderful...and they're both Merauke. So, I'm biased :D
Let us know what setup you decide on!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed May 23, 2018 1:21 am

Very cheap, very convenient , and very good for baby and juvenile BTs under 1 year old = https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 4&t=233480

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”