Question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
KeyBlu422
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Question

Postby KeyBlu422 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 am

I'm an owner of a 5 year old beardy which I've owned since he was 6 months of age. My next reptile will be a skink which I will be getting one in a couple of days if they have any nice northerners at the expo. Otherwise, I'll get into contact with Jeff Greene and get a skink from him when his next batch of babies are available. Anyway, here's my question. I've read about the how many days a week to feed the BTS throughout their life stages but I have yet to receive answers to two of my questions.

1. Would a baby skink be fed multiple times a day like a baby beardy? And if so, how many times would I dust with calcium with d3(don't remember what I did with my beardy since he hasn't been a baby for a LONG time). Would I go by a certain feeding rule like give as much insects as the skink can eat in 10-15 minutes like a baby beardy would? I'm already aware about the "no larger than space between eyes rule".

2. When I give protein, would it give it on a daily basis or would I feed protein like a couple times a week like how an adult beardy receives 80% veggies and 20% protein by giving salad everyday of the week and giving a protein source on two days a week.?
LeadedCactus83
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Question

Postby LeadedCactus83 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 am

Check out this feeding chart for blueys. It gives a good schedule to follow: http://bluetongueskinks.net/foodchart.html

As far as calcium dusting goes my breeder told me every three to four feedings.
If that's wrong, a more experienced keeper will correct me. :)
KeyBlu422
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby KeyBlu422 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:01 am

LeadedCactus83 wrote:Check out this feeding chart for blueys. It gives a good schedule to follow: http://bluetongueskinks.net/foodchart.html

As far as calcium dusting goes my breeder told me every three to four feedings.
If that's wrong, a more experienced keeper will correct me. :)

So, you would only feed once a day right? And when you mention dusting, Herptivite(multivitamin) would be given every fourth feeding right? Thanks for the schedule but fortunately, im already covered on that since my beardy also eats lots of vegetables.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:32 am

So as an attempt to answer some of your latest questions:

KeyBlu422 wrote:So, you would only feed once a day right?

Yep. Once a day.

KeyBlu422 wrote:And when you mention dusting, Herptivite(multivitamin) would be given every fourth feeding right?

I believe LeadedCactus83 is referring to calcium dusting in this case :D The amount of multivitamin use would depend on the diet choice. If it's varied with lots of 'natural' vitamins (such as in leafy greens and generally high quality food) it wouldn't be needed as frequently as calcium. Some may do a multivitamin powder once per week and a half, others may decide that full products (for example, Bluey Buffet) maintains enough balance to use it even less. As a reference, we are currently doing it once per two and a half weeks for our juvenile (at ~5months)

Also be sure to check the Bluey link above regardless. Some commonly fed items for Beardies may not be necessarily correct for a Bluey :wink:

And taken from your other post:
KeyBlu422 wrote:So, you would mix dog food/mealworms,superworms,other worms, etc with the salad? And you would only feed once a day since the bluey doesn't eat it all at once? If it does eat the salad and the bugs, as a baby or juvenile would I give it more protein or call it a day? Sorry about all these questions, just want to be prepared for the future

I can't comment much on the insects - as we've not been using them. But yes - mix all of the food together where possible; and chop into small pieces so they can't be picky (minus the insects). If they eat all of the salad/protein for the day, it shouldn't be necessary to give more - providing you're roughly giving the recommended amounts. If you'd prefer, you can give a little more the following day and see if they eat all of that too. They'll get to a point where they'll eat until content, and should leave a little bit of the food at the end of the day (but keep in mind this method is based on general behaviour, I wouldn't be surprised if some would over eat!).

You can also feed the insects separately (perhaps as an enrichment or a way to get a new Bluey to trust you). But I can't say how often or the best method for this... I'm only aware of the typical methods for adults, not juveniles.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
KeyBlu422
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby KeyBlu422 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:27 pm

kayla990 wrote:So as an attempt to answer some of your latest questions:

KeyBlu422 wrote:So, you would only feed once a day right?

Yep. Once a day.

KeyBlu422 wrote:And when you mention dusting, Herptivite(multivitamin) would be given every fourth feeding right?

I believe LeadedCactus83 is referring to calcium dusting in this case :D The amount of multivitamin use would depend on the diet choice. If it's varied with lots of 'natural' vitamins (such as in leafy greens and generally high quality food) it wouldn't be needed as frequently as calcium. Some may do a multivitamin powder once per week and a half, others may decide that full products (for example, Bluey Buffet) maintains enough balance to use it even less. As a reference, we are currently doing it once per two and a half weeks for our juvenile (at ~5months)

Also be sure to check the Bluey link above regardless. Some commonly fed items for Beardies may not be necessarily correct for a Bluey :wink:

And taken from your other post:
KeyBlu422 wrote:So, you would mix dog food/mealworms,superworms,other worms, etc with the salad? And you would only feed once a day since the bluey doesn't eat it all at once? If it does eat the salad and the bugs, as a baby or juvenile would I give it more protein or call it a day? Sorry about all these questions, just want to be prepared for the future

I can't comment much on the insects - as we've not been using them. But yes - mix all of the food together where possible; and chop into small pieces so they can't be picky (minus the insects). If they eat all of the salad/protein for the day, it shouldn't be necessary to give more - providing you're roughly giving the recommended amounts. If you'd prefer, you can give a little more the following day and see if they eat all of that too. They'll get to a point where they'll eat until content, and should leave a little bit of the food at the end of the day (but keep in mind this method is based on general behaviour, I wouldn't be surprised if some would over eat!).

You can also feed the insects separately (perhaps as an enrichment or a way to get a new Bluey to trust you). But I can't say how often or the best method for this... I'm only aware of the typical methods for adults, not juveniles.

Yeah I've checked out the bluey link before, I tend to give whatever good is on hand or I'll get it if the veggies I was previously using were going bad. I usually use collards, dandelions, kale, and mustard greens along with usually carrots and other veggies. I know the kale is listed as occasional which would make sense since they aren't as healthy as the other veggies listed before(which is why I get the other veggies more often). As for the carrots, I've seen them listed as occasional foods on some food charts but I've been using carrots for a while(several years actually) and figured out that breeders also list them as good vegetables to use like Jeff on the recommended breeders list if I remember right. I give butternut squash, pear, Apple, blueberries and other fruits too(but only a few a day and moderation is definitely in mind when fed to my beardy). About the feeding, I was aware of the calcium but was checking since I saw that was what to do on goherpings blue tongue skink care. And because I've checked with other sources and the ratio seems similar to that of an adult Beardy too. Another thing when it comes to feeding, Kingofnobby said he fed his skinks when they were babies three times a day and once a day as an adult. But only having to feed once a day is great as I won't have to deal with the same inconveniences that i remember that I had to go through when my beardy was a baby and juvenile.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 pm

Sounds great! Ahh, I didn't see that before from Kingofnobby - both methods would work well. As most Bluey's aren't sold until 1-2months old (ours was close to the 1.5month mark) we've not had problems with feeding once a day. Goodluck for when you get yours - feel free to post pictures when you do :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
KeyBlu422
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby KeyBlu422 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:20 am

kayla990 wrote:Sounds great! Ahh, I didn't see that before from Kingofnobby - both methods would work well. As most Bluey's aren't sold until 1-2months old (ours was close to the 1.5month mark) we've not had problems with feeding once a day. Goodluck for when you get yours - feel free to post pictures when you do :D

Thanks, and will do.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”