How active are your blue tongued skinks?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Hannasue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

How active are your blue tongued skinks?

Postby Hannasue » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi guys just got my first BTS this week (northern) and most of the day she just seems to burrow and never appear again lol. This is ok i’m just wondering ya know when she actually get ups and moves around.

Right now i’ll handle her for an hour and give her a little bit of food and treats so she knows i’m not a predator which has been working great. Im just a bit worried because it seems like the only time she looks for food or drinks water is after i wake her up and get her energized.

Will she come up from burrowing to look around the cage for food? Or should i wake her up to feed her? I’d also like to stress that she doesn’t seem to stressed out after i had given her food for the first time she was doing lizard zoomies around her cage climbing walls and and checking every inch. Shes about 4 months old right now. How active are your skinks? Is this normal for them to just stay burrowed for so long? Just worried she might dehydrate herself.

Thanks!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: How active are your blue tongued skinks?

Postby splashy07 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:06 pm

How are your temps? Don't worry about dehydration or starvation, she will come out to eat and drink. Just let her settle in a bit and get used to her new home. Could also be seasonal, mine are starting to slow down a bit as they always do this time of year.
LeadedCactus83
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: How active are your blue tongued skinks?

Postby LeadedCactus83 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Keep in mind that baby skinks are food for many predators in the wild, so they'll hide A LOT to avoid getting noticed. My baby is four months old too, and she spends most of her time hiding. It's pretty rare for me to catch her out and, if I do, zips into cover in the blink of an eye. I don't usually see her unless I pull her out.

Don't fret too much about not seeing her do anything. She's still adjusting to you and her new world. Make sure she has what she needs and continue to interact her. She'll be out more as she relaxes and grows into adulthood.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”