different feeders

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

different feeders

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed May 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Well my b-days coming :ohyes: and I'm looking for presents :twisted: . Unlike the adverage joe I don't want video games or anything in that area of gifts. Instead I was thinking about getting another bluey, building a larger cage for bberry, and buying feeder insects to breed. I have narrowed my list down to:nightcrawlers(europen,african,canadian) I don't know which type is easeir to breed or better for my skink (any ideas?), next are snails I really don't want to feed from outside so does anyone know where I can buy some from? I have looked at old posts and see that most people have aquatic snails any reason why(cheaper,nutrition,care,avalibility,personal preference). How do I take care/breed them. Lastly roaches the least likely one I'm going to get. I'm focusing mostly on orange head,dubia,and discod since their size,price and they can't fly or climb. Could they infest my house and have me need to get it fumigated? How do I take care of them from what I've read all you do is put scraps and veggies in. Thanks in advance.
Edit: Also, could he choke on the snail shell if he doesn't try to break it.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
Country:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Postby dsteamn » Wed May 04, 2011 7:15 pm

I usually get garden snails rather than aquatic snails. I've used the aquatic ones before, but the garden variety snails have a much softer shell and then won't bother their gums as much. They sometimes crunch them and spit out the shells, but if they swallow them, it won't hurt them - extra calcium. Raising them is much too time consuming though.

If you breed roaches, of any kind, and they get out, you've got a problem. One makes 10,000 in no time at all. Just as a side note, I got mine a hissing roach one time, but every time he tried to bite it, the little guy would put off his hiss and my skink would back away. I guess he didn't like the idea of his dinner talking back to him.

I have heard that superworms are not too difficult to breed. They turn in to beetles. Then its a matter of correct temperature and moisture. You may want to try that as an option.

Good luck.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Wed May 04, 2011 7:27 pm

For the roaches - I breed discoids. Don't fly, don't climb, so super easy to keep in one container. They also need heat to breed - so if I want more babies, I add a UTH. Got enough, take it away. For my climate this is perfect.

I've never had an escape, but if one did get out they would never survive this climate. Highly recommend discoids. :D
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed May 04, 2011 7:39 pm

dsteamn wrote:I usually get garden snails rather than aquatic snails. I've used the aquatic ones before, but the garden variety snails have a much softer shell and then won't bother their gums as much. They sometimes crunch them and spit out the shells, but if they swallow them, it won't hurt them - extra calcium. Raising them is much too time consuming though.

If you breed roaches, of any kind, and they get out, you've got a problem. One makes 10,000 in no time at all. Just as a side note, I got mine a hissing roach one time, but every time he tried to bite it, the little guy would put off his hiss and my skink would back away. I guess he didn't like the idea of his dinner talking back to him.

I have heard that superworms are not too difficult to breed. They turn in to beetles. Then its a matter of correct temperature and moisture. You may want to try that as an option.

Good luck

On a website it says
Our feeder roaches are not the pest species house roaches seen running for cover when the lights go on. Those pests are generally American (Periplaneta americana) or German (Blattella germanica) cockroaches. Instead, our feeder roaches are tropical roaches from warm faraway places. Tropical roaches will not infest your home, even if they accidentally escape.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed May 04, 2011 7:41 pm

dsteamn wrote:I have heard that superworms are not too difficult to breed. They turn in to beetles. Then its a matter of correct temperature and moisture. You may want to try that as an option.
Good luck.

Also from my experience superworms are quite hard to get to turn to beetles. And I'm trying for insects that I can use as a staple diet.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:06 pm

there are tons of people in my area who breed various types of Discoids, and they have No problems breeding them. they sell them on the side because they are prolific if kept on heat.

I'm looking into getting a colony of Death's Heads pretty soon and trying it out for myself, since I've got an extra 19 gal container and an extra heat pad. (so cool looking omg)
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 am

I raise dubias and thy sound similar to the ones kat I raising. Never had an escape and they are super easy. I think we are going to breed mealworms next. I looked into superworms but they are a pain to turn into beetles and they smell awful!
Cay T.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu May 05, 2011 6:07 pm

If I feed the european nightcrawler food scraps would it effect the skinks or...?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
nakerz_loves_bts
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 am
Country:
Location: Jimboomba, Queensland, Australia

Postby nakerz_loves_bts » Fri May 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Try mealworms. I had between 1000 and 2000 when my colony crashed. That was 3 months after 200 worms were purchased. I highly reccommend you attempt mealies. Snails (Helix aspera in particular) are fairly simple to raise. PM me for info on them. I don't really know much about any other feeders, but I hope you get some nice snacks lol
caleb! ;) AUSSIE PRIDE!!!
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:If I feed the european nightcrawler food scraps would it effect the skinks or...?


Remember - your feeder is only as healthy as its diet! So, if you feed it healthy scraps that would be good for blueys then when ingested, it will be a healthy feeder. If you feed it cheap, over-processed or not very nutritious foods then it won't be a very good feeder. Some people think feeders like crickets or roaches can live on air and a stale piece of bread - if they can't eat a healthy diet then they don't have the range of vitamins, minerals and nutrients that your pet needs. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 183 guests