Help identifying my skink?

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
Lily
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help identifying my skink?

Postby Lily » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi, I am a somewhat new owner of this BTS, his name is Guilbert and he's a little over a year old from what I've been told. What I was not told was what species he was, the only information I got was "We have a breeder". Lately he's been quite stressed and I'm concerned as to why, I originally thought he was a Northern because I read that was one of the more common types, but after researching a little more I think he could maybe be an Irian Jaya, but then again he's my first so I have no other experience. Not to mention I haven't seen side-by-side comparisons of the different species so it's harder for me to really tell the difference. The article I was reading said Irian Jayas could be classified as either gigas or scincoides, which I tried looking up but it was hard for me to see a difference if there is one at all because a lot of the same pictures showed up for both of them. Any help would be great.

EDIT: Looking back at my old post I noticed it looks like he's lost some weight as well??

EDIT: I realized that's probably because of brumation :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
craigb
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Help identifying my skink?

Postby craigb » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 pm

It kinda looks like a cross to me Irian Jaya and Northern. They will breed together and offspring are not sold as pure anything. Unless you plan to breed it, which I wouldn't. Just enjoy it as a pet. They are great friendly lizards. I have used them for more than a decade in classroom presentations.

There are many more folks here with more experience than me.
Education is expensive.
Ignorance is priceless

1.2 Northerns 1.1 Merauke
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Hey Lily! Is this the same skink as your other post? If it is - surprised how different the face/jaw is here! When was this picture taken compared to the other (if it's the same skink)

Also agree with craigb with it being a hybrid (didn't see this post until after the other!).

Hmm, the weight - how much have they lost? Just with reference to the other post, if it's the jaw causing issues then that doesn't sound good.. It's weird, as with brumation - Northerns do definitely have a brumation period; but the majority of Indonesians are known to either slow down a little, or may not even go into brumation. But if we're right suspecting a hybrid, then can't say for sure which way that will happen.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Lily
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lily » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm

craigb wrote:It kinda looks like a cross to me Irian Jaya and Northern. They will breed together and offspring are not sold as pure anything. Unless you plan to breed it, which I wouldn't. Just enjoy it as a pet. They are great friendly lizards. I have used them for more than a decade in classroom presentations.

There are many more folks here with more experience than me.

I don't have any intention of breeding him, I'm really just curious because I want to more about my little guy and I want to do whatever makes him the more comfortable. He has characteristics of both IJ and Northerns so I don't know what is exactly right for him. I was hoping a classification would help me improve his life!
Lily
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lily » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:25 pm

kayla990 wrote:Hey Lily! Is this the same skink as your other post? If it is - surprised how different the face/jaw is here! When was this picture taken compared to the other (if it's the same skink)

Also agree with craigb with it being a hybrid (didn't see this post until after the other!).

Hmm, the weight - how much have they lost? Just with reference to the other post, if it's the jaw causing issues then that doesn't sound good.. It's weird, as with brumation - Northerns do definitely have a brumation period; but the majority of Indonesians are known to either slow down a little, or may not even go into brumation. But if we're right suspecting a hybrid, then can't say for sure which way that will happen.

Yes it is actually the same skink! These photos where taken seconds apart actually, if you want more I can provide. His face isn't too off but in the other photo I feel like it's really exemplified.

I haven't been weighing him because there's no scale available to me, but I do think he went into brumation because there was a month where he wouldn't eat and stayed buried most of the time.

Return to “Other Skink Species”