Shingleback humidity levels?

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
davidtrinh797
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Shingleback humidity levels?

Postby davidtrinh797 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 am

Hey guys,
so I recently acquired an eastern shingleback skink (T. rugosa asper); I live in Sydney and I just can't get the humidity to stay below 50%. I'm currently getting mid 50%'s and sometimes even low 60%'s. Short of a dehumidifier (which I'm going to get soon when I find a reasonably priced one), is there anything I can do to lower the humidity? So far no signs of respiratory infections. Eating well and out basking.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Re: Shingleback humidity levels?

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:44 pm

don't let the substrate get wet - remove any urine affected substrate, water spills etc. Even take the water bowl out - leave it in for a short time each week.

Using paper based substrate - kitty litter or similar can help to reduce the humidity levels as well. Provide good ventilation as well as a nice warm basking spot.

Hope that helps.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti

Return to “Other Skink Species”