Help IDing my new BTS?

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
DonairTownBTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help IDing my new BTS?

Postby DonairTownBTS » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Hey everyone! New BTS owner here and I have no idea what kind she is. Little bit of back story, pets unlimited was closing and she literally had no place to go, so we took her home. (Just going with female) I know she is 99% chance a wild caught Indonesian, but I'm not sure what type. I've yet to find markings like hers anywhere. So I literally have no clue. The tag at the store said "Major Skink" but I'm having a hard time finding much info about them. She has been hiding ever since and hisses when we approach. It's been two days so I'm giving her more time and dropping a piece of fruit in when I come near. Should I be taking her out to explore? She got out once on a little mishap and wasn't to find of being picked up. She sure made a thrashing and I couldnt hold her. It's worth noting I have 2 large dogs as well. I've had pythons and those are easy as hell, never had a lizard who bites. I will try to get better pics another time if she decides to come out! The sand will also be replaced tomorrow afternoon with some coconut bark.

Any first timer tips would be appreciated. (You guys are all probably sick of these threads but I will be contributing as I gain more knowledge and experience:) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Re: Help IDing my new BTS?

Postby NickBrahz » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:24 pm

I might be mistaken because i have just woken up but that isn't a BTS, it looks to be a skink possibly some kind of pink tongue but not a BTS.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Postby Dakota » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:42 am

Bellatorias frerei, Major skink. Typically a more "hands off" species. Usually very flighty, but can "tame" down with time. Their care is very similar to BTS (Tiliqua gigas).
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
DonairTownBTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby DonairTownBTS » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Quick update she is doing great! Ate a couple grapes and hasn't been hissing at us. We out her in one of my dirty socks and she crawled right in and let us pick her up. I can't get her to eat any protein though. Should I wait a while and only leave food in if she eats it asap?
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Postby NickBrahz » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:27 pm

I'm wondering if a site like http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/ might be more helpful for you Donair, i don't know if many or any people on here have experience with them there may be more help on there as it is geared more towards all reptiles then Blue tongues.
DonairTownBTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby DonairTownBTS » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks for the tip! Appreciate it
Gao
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Gao » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:35 am

DonairTownBTS wrote:Thanks for the tip! Appreciate it

Please keep updated on the section of other skink species. She's a beautiful little critter. :D
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:13 pm

I have moved this into the Section for Other Skink Species forum, so look for it here from now on. :D
Please keep us updated on how things are going.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Lidah Biru
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lidah Biru » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:31 am

Hello!

I now i am a little late, but i am new here and slowly become more comfortable to this forum :) I also keep b. frerei. My animals are wc indonesians and the female (?) is looking right like yours.
To your B. frerei i wanna say, that it often needs longer time till they calm down and becoming more trust in humans. It is helpfull to give these skinks a lot of hidingplaces, not only one or two, so they feel more safe. Also i give them soft wood chips and many dry leaves, because they love to dive easily into the ground. That makes them feel more safe too Like bluetongues most of them love bananas, but my frerei also like zophobas morio, locusta migratoria, blaptica dubia and all the other feederinsects, also pinkymice. Thre times a week in the morning i put the food in a deep bowl, so it couldn´t escape and for the first half a year i only can see, that the bowl most of the time is empty in evening and something is hiding somwhere. But suddenly one day, the frerei stay, staring at me and watching me doing my work on pc. From this day, they very slowly became more and more tame, but still not as tame like my bluetongues ( they sometimes got on my nerves always begging for food while i am cleaning the enclosure :D ). You have to be patience and they like a peacefull place. A room always filled with family and friends can be counterproductive for the first time, of course.

Return to “Other Skink Species”