New Berber Skink with a bloody foot

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
redkalen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Berber Skink with a bloody foot

Postby redkalen » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:23 pm

I recently adopted an 8-ish year old Berber skink from an owner who wanted to get rid of it. He seems to be quite active in his new habitat, and I put in a larger water dish that he could actually fit in. He also had a large half circle wooden hide that he had trouble scrambling on top of, so I also got another, smaller half circle hide to put next to the larger one so he could use it as a ramp to more easily get on top of the large hide to bask. I then noticed that his left front foot was bloody looking, and that made me smooth the surface of the new hide. He seems to be moving on it fairly well, and will only favor it occasionally when he is sitting on top of his basking log.

Another issue is that I do not think that the older owner performed claw clipping, and the skink only has 2 claws on his right front foot, and none on his left front foot. Is there anything else I can do in order to attempt to help his foot heal?

Also, his right hind leg apparently had some trapped shedding skin about 4 years ago, and it has been swollen ever since. He doesn't really seem to notice or mind too much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: New Berber Skink with a bloody foot

Postby Richard.C » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:07 pm

The puffy leg could actually be from injury,mau have been housed wirh others in the past,if they get infected the pas inside isnt liquidy but infact quite globular in consistency,bloody foot could be from opening wound

Wouldnt be a bad idea to have a reptile specific vet take a look at it,if its what i think they can flush it out and treat it and hopefullu leg goes back to normal

I had a similar thing on the front leg of one of my cunningham skinks last season,had to get the muck out and legs healed up quite well
redkalen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: New Berber Skink with a bloody foot

Postby redkalen » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:34 pm

The puffy foot was not my reason for posting my original question. The puffy foot does not seem to bother him at all, but his left front foot keeps bleeding. I actually came home today and there was blood all over his basking spot and water dish. Is there some way that I can bandage his foot up to help it stop bleeding? Or should I just put neosporin on it, and continue to monitor him to see if it heals by itself?

Return to “Other Skink Species”