A Berber or a Schneider?

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
Moffatop
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

A Berber or a Schneider?

Postby Moffatop » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:55 am

Hi all,
I'm new here, Eddie arrived today, I think by his markings he's a Berber. I'll add pics as soon as i figure it out :noknow:
Also, he's my first ever skink & I've noticed some dark brown spots on his back. Is this normal from burrowing, markings or does he need vets asap for mites? I've not attempted to handle him just yet, letting him settle after travelling. He seems to be nicely settled and has had a wander around his viv
Thanks in advance
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Re: A Berber or a Schneider?

Postby Dakota » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:03 am

Right below this post, to the left, there is a rectangle that says "Post Reply". Hit that, and it will take you to the full editor. Once you have been redirected, there is a menu below the text box that says "Options and Upload attachment". Hit "Upload attachment". Then, hit "Choose File", pick your photo, and finally hit "Add the file". It will load, then it should pop up with the menu that says "File comment". Once you see this, hit "Submit".
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: A Berber or a Schneider?

Postby kl » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:04 pm

The 2 species are frequently mixed up. Berber Skinks are from Morocco which stopped legal export of wildlife back in the 1990's. Schneider Skinks kind of filled the void. Both have similar coloration but Berbers get much more robust in size. Berbers are very scarce in captivity though are a little more available in Europe than in the states. Here's a couple pictures of Berbers, an adult and a juvenile. It really does not matter if your animal is a Berbers or a Schneider as both make great pets.

KL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Skink Species”