Snails for Pink Tongue Skink.

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
shooterKD
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Snails for Pink Tongue Skink.

Postby shooterKD » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:12 pm

I have the opportunity to acquire a pink tongued skink and have been doing a bunch of research. I've also previously kept blue tongues and Schneider's skinks, so I'm not a total rookie. My main question, and the thing holding me back momentarily... I breed my own Ramshorn snails for my puffer fish and am wondering if they'd be safe to feed a pink tongue as its main snail source? We dont get garden snails here and my only other option would be the can o snails, so I'm hoping someone can help answer and let me know the facts. There's not a ton of info on these skinks to be found and what is out there tends to be conflicting at times, so I'm hoping to hear from experienced owners. Any other helpful care and tank setup ideas would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Re: Snails for Pink Tongue Skink.

Postby starscream3232 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:27 am

I have 3 pink tongues that are almost a year old now. I don't know if the snails you have are good for them. I don't feed mine snails. When I first got them I bought some canned escargot and chopped it up and mixed it with canned cat food. I only did that for the first month. Now they eat only cat food with supplement powder. I don't use uv since I give them calcium/d3 in their food. I use Eco earth as a bottom layer and reptibark for the top. I keep their humidity around 70%. They have a water dish but never see them drink from it. They drink mostly water drops from heavy misting twice a day. They are more active early evening. I feed them a couple hours before the lights turn off. Then I mist heavily which stimulates them to eat. They like to climb and have some branches and cork slabs to hide under. I enjoy interacting with them more than my blue tongues. Super tame. Good luck if you take him in. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
ducati1198r
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Snails for Pink Tongue Skink.

Postby ducati1198r » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:28 am

This is super nerdy but, what type of canned cat food do you use? Thanks.

Return to “Other Skink Species”