king skinks

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

king skinks

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:34 pm

promising sign,saw king skinks show interest for the first time yesterday,was tail thrashing then pursuit,hopefully will see something more,no grabbing attempts yet that ive seen,but finally a sign,kind of reminded me of what my landmullets did last season,though with chasing,the tail thrashing was a lot more intense to
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Re: king skinks

Postby Dakota » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:38 pm

I love King's Skinks!!
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:07 pm

probably one of my favourite species,they are nuts though,really hard to hold especially with out copping a bite and by god can they bite,when they bite they inturn do a croc roll,ask me how I know,lol

one of the least shy of egernia skinks,though probably the worst for handling,unlike most that just hiss and may struggle,these guys twist in your grip and bite,and give it there all,i did once have a large tame one,was just as mellow as a bluey,very odd for these guys
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:14 pm

I wish we had some here in the states. :love:
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:35 pm

He's now about 14 yrs old as he was born in 1999 in Germany. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any female available for him.

Richard, how long does this species live and how long do you think they can breed till?

KL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 pm

That's a beautiful animal Kim. It would be incredible if you could find him a female.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:35 pm

It's just a shame that I can't ever get the chance to mate him. For yrs now I've offered CB Blotched to anyone willing to trade me a female. There are a few females in Europe but evidently the people who keep them have no interest in blue tongues or perhaps never see my trade offers.

Kim
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:21 pm

im not sure kim,mine are still young,around 4 if memory serves me correctly,im pretty sure they live to a ripe old age though,if rorybreaker reads this he may have some old ones,he breeds them

yours is a beauty color wise kim,mine are quite dark in comparison,your is possibly one of the island occurring forms,supposedly the prettier colored ones occur off the mainland
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:52 am

Oh gosh king skinks <3

They are on my list, thats for sure!!

When I was 15, I worked at a wildlife center and I got left in charge of the reptiles - We had a really big king skink. He was so cool, you could pat him and hand feed him all his food. Me being me, I asked the boss if I could hold him, and he was like "You can try, but I dont recommend it, good luck" (He thought I wouldnt. He picked on me a lot like that, yeah lets chuck the 15 year old girly girl with the reptiles and insects. Oh shes cool with that? Nae, hold the shingles for the school class. Yeah now shes having way to much fun. Nae hold the snake. Yeah I give up. :lol: )

5 minutes later I was walking around the place with this massive black skink :lol: He didnt like the initial picking up, but when I had him in my arms he was all good. My boss?

"Oh my god...youre kidding me..."

:lol:

Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:53 am

*drools*
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:04 pm

nice nae,that ones a tank

one I had a few years ago was very placid,like a northern bluey,even when being picked up,it just hated any other lizard and would attack it,it attacted one of my smaller king skinks and one quick bite removed 4 of its toes on backfoot,it certainly didn't mess around,thankfully the young pair get along great

from what ive heard removing babies can be fun with over protective adults
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:48 am

kl wrote:He's now about 14 yrs old as he was born in 1999 in Germany. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any female available for him.

Richard, how long does this species live and how long do you think they can breed till?

KL

That is one fantastic looking King! I have only ever seen one other as good as that one is, and that was online by a collector/dealer(from Western Australia) on another forum gloating how they are going to start working on the more prettier form of Kings.

Your King will most definitely be shooting live ammo as he really is only middle aged. Most Egernias will reproduce beyond their 20th year.

I have been meaning to take some more up to date pictures of my group. I run one male to 2 females outdoors.

Their outdoor home.

The male a couple of years ago.

I can't seem to find any pictures of the girls, but I do have a pic of one of this seasons young.

Richard, in past years I have witnessed mine mating before 6am in September( basically walked past their cage on the way out to work). Indoors you might get them to go earlier.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:10 am

very nice rory,yours look lighter than mine,mine are quite black almost like land mullets but with the kingy speckles

my temps are odd,whilst I return basking temps early,ambients are still very cold and a lot of stuff still chooses to tospend more time away from heat
and not mate till ambients have risen as well so septemberish but usually into october

the kings though even with no heat stayed reasonably active,and since returning heat are quite active and
eating well,havnt noticed any copulation yet though
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:01 am

Oh gosh baby! Ive never actually seen a baby king before

Anyone know anything about cross state importation? I cant find kings anywhere! (Need to hit Gary up I think)

I have plans to build a second tank when I make Zeke a new one, a western bluetongue, a pair of kings or a pair of goldfields shingles are the planned inhabitants~
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Nae wrote:Oh gosh baby! Ive never actually seen a baby king before

Anyone know anything about cross state importation? I cant find kings anywhere! (Need to hit Gary up I think)

I have plans to build a second tank when I make Zeke a new one, a western bluetongue, a pair of kings or a pair of goldfields shingles are the planned inhabitants~

I wouldn't be keeping anything with Kings. They are the nastiest, crankiest bullies of the skink world. It's nigh impossible to even introduce new Kings to an established enclosure/colony.

Search on YouTube for the vid of the King skink versus the Dugite on Rotnest island......it proves my point.
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Richard.C wrote:very nice rory,yours look lighter than mine,mine are quite black almost like land mullets but with the kingy speckles

my temps are odd,whilst I return basking temps early,ambients are still very cold and a lot of stuff still chooses to tospend more time away from heat
and not mate till ambients have risen as well so septemberish but usually into october

the kings though even with no heat stayed reasonably active,and since returning heat are quite active and
eating well,havnt noticed any copulation yet though

My females are very dark , almost patternless too. Kept outdoors, mine always give birth in early February.
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 pm

RoryBreaker wrote:
Nae wrote:Oh gosh baby! Ive never actually seen a baby king before

I wouldn't be keeping anything with Kings. They are the nastiest, crankiest bullies of the skink world. It's nigh impossible to even introduce new Kings to an established enclosure/colony.

Search on YouTube for the vid of the King skink versus the Dugite on Rotnest island......it proves my point.

Oh no, I did not mean to keep together - more that they are on the list of candidates for the second enclosure! Trust me, I know about their charming personalities ;)
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:17 pm

definatly the rough nuts of the skink world

love that u tube vid rory pretty much sums them up even doing it with an audience
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:24 am

I little bit of film of my Kings in their outdoor home. Only one female and the male came out to bask while the camera was on. I am certain they are put off by the flashing led on the front of the camera while its recording.

An hour and half condensed down to just over four minutes. Filmed this morning but it was a little overcast and unseasonably cool. The female is the darker one, she and her sister are due to give birth in a few weeks.

http://youtu.be/bzmfmk_u8Zs

Cheers
Ray Gurgui
Rocker of Rock 'n Roll
Rocker of Rock 'n Roll

Postby Ray Gurgui » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Cover the LED with electrical tape , they will never know its on !
www.thunderbayherps.com

Northern 4.11
Caramel Northern 2.4.3
Sunset Northern 1.0
Het Sunset Northern 2.7
Turner Line White Northern 0.4.1
Eastern 10.14.4
Tanimbar 2.3
Iran Jaya 2.4.5
Merueke 1.1
Kei Island 2.5
Alpine Blotched 3.4