king skinks

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: king skinks

Postby kl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Are those limestone ones you refer to the island morphs? The white and black speckle looking ones have been bred by a few people in Europe.

KL
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:04 pm

kl wrote:Are those limestone ones you refer to the island morphs? The white and black speckle looking ones have been bred by a few people in Europe.

KL

No. Limestone is just a label that is referring to the habitat the legal collectors are harvesting from on the mainland. I'm told that the limestone type are from the northern part of their range.

Acanthurus would have better intel on that though, being from that side of the country.

Keep in mind, relatively few kings are kept in collections in Aus. The mainstream herp hobby is still hung up over pythons.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:28 pm

And branching out to geckoes,lol

Alot of folk wouldnt like the fact kingys like to bite and dont mess around with little bites,if there biting there giving u both barrels

Mind you i had one that was as tame as the tamest of blueys,big adult one,just wanted to kill anything u tried housing it with including other kingskinks

I dont overly handle my skinks though,and still love the spunk in kingys even though they make me bleed,lol
acanthurus
Rugosa Envy
Rugosa Envy

Postby acanthurus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks Rory,

I didn't realise the males have the thinner heads. Still not sure if these new skinks are a pair though. The new ones are only young adults so still need to bulk up a bit.

The speckled form are as Rory said found in coastal limestone areas north of Perth, with my understanding that the brightest come from around Jurien Bay. The island types tend to follow those found on the coast, with darker animals found on Penguin, Carnac and Rottnest Islands and lighter animals on others islands including Wedge and the Albrolhos.

Below are a few pics of my adults including the new ones I'm trying to sex. iPhone pics so they tend to wash out the colours but hopefully still give an idea. First is my large adult male, second is my female, third and forth are the new ones with a side by side pic as well. Finally is my adult male next to my largest female western for an idea of size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:15 pm

This is the first time I have seen an ad for speckled kings on the east coast of Aus. Check it out.

http://reptilesdownunder.com/ads/speckled-king-skinks/
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:27 pm

Hmmm,i believe simone aquired those recentlyish from niall in wa,must be offloading the extras,rory theres a chap in your neck of the woods offloading 5 bigger ones of the more bright yellow flecking variety,like joes ones and apparently locale specific

Do you know johnny larsen?
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Richard.C wrote:Hmmm,i believe simone aquired those recentlyish from niall in wa,must be offloading the extras,rory theres a chap in your neck of the woods offloading 5 bigger ones of the more bright yellow flecking variety,like joes ones and apparently locale specific

Do you know johnny larsen?

I've heard of him, don't know him though.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:57 am

20140625_003502-1.jpg
20140625_004304-1.jpg

some young kingys i recently aquired off rory settling into new cage,they seem to spend most of there time on the wall of the exo terra enclosure,lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:00 am

20140622_182950-2.jpg

even as juvies these guys pack tude,lol
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:07 pm

That's an adorable bite photo <3
acanthurus
Rugosa Envy
Rugosa Envy

Postby acanthurus » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:24 am

Had a bit of luck from my yellow spotted pair this week, with the white spotted female yet to drop.

About the only time I would call them hand holdable...
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:49 am

Beautiful,tristan,good stuff,wont be long till they will be holding you,lol

Return to “Other Skink Species”