Another rescued skink - this one is sick

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Another rescued skink - this one is sick

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:43 am

Gutzy excaped this afternoon.

I had her on the coffee table with her lid part way off to refresh her water , and replace her paper bedding and my 7 yr old very boisterous and noisy grandson unexpectedly and suddenly came back from the study were he was doing some drawing with his granny.
Gutzy took fright , leapt and pushed her way past the loose lid , was on the coffee and off in flash on the floor disappearing under the lounge.
A few minutes later she was ontop the sunny part of the lounge basking and glaring at the Mouse Trap game board on the other coffee table before coming back to sit ontop the fax-phone-ans combo machine on the corner table module for a few minutes but was spooked again by the grandson (she is NOT keen on him).

Been very rainy / overcast cool/windy here since Gutzy was adopted. Sun finally came back out this afternoon and I noticed she was very active in her tub , lots of digging in corners, standing in corners trying to get lid off... she'd noticed it was sunny and I believe she wanted to get to the sun.

So she's back to being a guest (house) skink , at least for the next few days , until the grandson goes back home ….

I'm back to giving her worms and crickets as treats when she comes back out looking to bask , to warm up, and back to leaving some water out for her in plastic lid.

Was nice caring for her, and fun watching her behaviours and how she interacted with us for the last few days …. I think she'll be happier when the grandson goes , and might allow me to reinstall her in her 10L tub next week (if stays inside or keeps up with her visits).
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Another rescued skink - this one is sick

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:21 am

15mins after the grandson was collected by his stepdad, and the sound level in the house went from very noisy to nice and quiet , and it went caotic to calm , Gutzy showed up and was chilling in the middle of the lounge room head nodding at me… skink talk for " I'm back , I'm hungry ,where are my bugs ?" .

6 mealworms later and she was ontop the lounge taking the sun …. and keeping an eye on me.

I've set out a feeding dish for per with some worms in it in the corner near the corner of the lounge …. If she doesn't want to live in a big tub (for now) , I'm happy enough to have her visiting until she is ready.
6 mealworms later and she was ontop the lounge taking the sun ….
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Suzle87
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 am
Country: UnitedKingdom
Location: Cheshire

Re: Another rescued skink - this one is sick

Postby Suzle87 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:56 am

kingofnobbys wrote:15mins after the grandson was collected by his stepdad, and the sound level in the house went from very noisy to nice and quiet , and it went caotic to calm , Gutzy showed up and was chilling in the middle of the lounge room head nodding at me… skink talk for " I'm back , I'm hungry ,where are my bugs ?" .

6 mealworms later and she was ontop the lounge taking the sun …. and keeping an eye on me.

I've set out a feeding dish for per with some worms in it in the corner near the corner of the lounge …. If she doesn't want to live in a tube (for now) , I'm happy enough to have her visiting until she is ready.
6 mealworms later and she was ontop the lounge taking the sun ….


This really tickled me, I love catching up on this thread, you are lucky to have so many interesting lizard characters around!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Another rescued skink - this one is sick

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:17 am

Sunny today (first sunny day all day so far October) …. but very windy and cold (outside) , but warm inside …. Gutzy paid a visit to me about 9pm …. she was right next to me on the lounge (I felt her against my outer left thigh , I thought she was cricket or roach so went to swipe away, then discovered it was Gutzy, she was not amused and leapt off the lounge before I could react).
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Another rescued skink - this one is sick

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:15 pm

3 house skinks now - Gutzy and her boyfriend both here this afternoon ( the boy looks younger , and has a full ORIGINAL ISSUE TAIL = very impressively long cf Fluffy's and Gutzy's regenerated tails), and is broader on the head.

And a juvenile about 12 months old as well …. had all 3 visiting the lid full of water I've placed on the floor just now ….

Gutzy was visiting most of the morning and looks quite a bit plumper now than a few weeks ago.

Her boyfriend has followed her inside and has been checking me out from a safe distance his afternoon. He's a bit shyer than Gutzy , took worms tossed to him but is wary of getting too close. He doesn't seem to know about the fooddish .

And a juvenile about 12 months old as well , about half Fluffy's head size …. the little one is very timid but was studying me and Peppa while I was feeding Peppa …. had all 3 visiting the lid full of water I've placed on the floor just now ….

Fluffy knows there are visiters , she's been standing in the corner looking at them and headnodding at them.
User avatar
Suzle87
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 am
Country: UnitedKingdom
Location: Cheshire

Re: Another rescued skink - this one is sick

Postby Suzle87 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:16 am

kingofnobbys wrote:3 house skinks now - Gutzy and her boyfriend both here this afternoon ( the boy looks younger , and has a full ORIGINAL ISSUE TAIL = very impressively long cf Fluffy's and Gutzy's regenerated tails), and is broader on the head.

And a juvenile about 12 months old as well …. had all 3 visiting the lid full of water I've placed on the floor just now ….

Gutzy was visiting most of the morning and looks quite a bit plumper now than a few weeks ago.

Her boyfriend has followed her inside and has been checking me out from a safe distance his afternoon. He's a bit shyer than Gutzy , took worms tossed to him but is wary of getting too close. He doesn't seem to know about the fooddish .

And a juvenile about 12 months old as well , about half Fluffy's head size …. the little one is very timid but was studying me and Peppa while I was feeding Peppa …. had all 3 visiting the lid full of water I've placed on the floor just now ….

Fluffy knows there are visiters , she's been standing in the corner looking at them and headnodding at them.


Haha i love that Gutzy is now bringing her fella round to visit! sounds like she's got him under her thumb though...bet she steals his dinners
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Another rescued skink - this one is sick

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:57 am

Suzle87 wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:3 house skinks now - Gutzy and her boyfriend both here this afternoon ( the boy looks younger , and has a full ORIGINAL ISSUE TAIL = very impressively long cf Fluffy's and Gutzy's regenerated tails), and is broader on the head.

And a juvenile about 12 months old as well …. had all 3 visiting the lid full of water I've placed on the floor just now ….

Gutzy was visiting most of the morning and looks quite a bit plumper now than a few weeks ago.

Her boyfriend has followed her inside and has been checking me out from a safe distance his afternoon. He's a bit shyer than Gutzy , took worms tossed to him but is wary of getting too close. He doesn't seem to know about the fooddish .

And a juvenile about 12 months old as well , about half Fluffy's head size …. the little one is very timid but was studying me and Peppa while I was feeding Peppa …. had all 3 visiting the lid full of water I've placed on the floor just now ….

Fluffy knows there are visiters , she's been standing in the corner looking at them and headnodding at them.


Haha i love that Gutzy is now bringing her fella round to visit! sounds like she's got him under her thumb though...bet she steals his dinners


I know why Fluffy, the two BTs and my big beardie Peppa have been fascinated with back of the lounge and the corner of it lately.... they all knew there were visitors .

She's certainly a force to be reckoned with and is VERY VERY greedy …. I think the male followed her inside and strongly suspect the juvenile is her daughter ….. setting up an 6 month old 26W UVB200 (my Solarmeter says it's still giving 80-90 microW UVB / sq.cm at 8" from the bottom of the bulb so should be OK for these waterskinks, my BTs and beardies wont mind it either when they are on the floor) in one my old domes hung under the Komodo lamp stand tomorrow for them so they wont feel the need to go outside for UV.
Would be nice to tame the male and the juvenile.
BlueyElla
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:29 am
Country: USA
Location: Rochester_Hills,MI

Re: Another rescued skink - this one is sick

Postby BlueyElla » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:56 am

Wow! I wish we had lots of lizards in our yard as well. Where I live small five lined skinks and some ankles are native but I’ve never seen them. Hopefully I can attract some!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Another rescued skink - this one is sick

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:39 am

The boy (Cheakie) is guarding our front patio / pile of building stuff (there) and has been scratching on the outside of our front window and head nodding at us while we looked out at him. I know it's him as he's got a very distinctive scar on his tail that I spotted last time he was visiting inside (a few days ago when I saw him on the top of the lounge).
Image
cheakie-boy-looking-in

Gutzy is still heavily pregnant and hanging out under our back steps ….
Image

They had a feast today …. a couple dozen freshly dead crickets + 10 freshly dead silkworm moths + some mealworms lavae and pupae....

Fluffy having funtime today
Image

Spotted a big head peaking out at me from between the old 20L selfwatering flower pots (used to be my herb/berry garden) , so we have a resident bluetongue skink hanging out in our yard …. and it's a big one !
:)

Return to “Other Skink Species”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest